Sunday, September 13, 2009

Psalm 119:129-176 - Plumb Line

by Becky

LINK: Psalm 119: 129-176


I linked the whole psalm to retain the poetic form. Just scroll down to the verses for today!


BACKGROUND


Many different words for God’s revelation to his people are used in this psalm. I have wondered if there is any difference in them or if they are synonyms. According to my new ESV Study Bible the words are nuanced and emphasize various qualities of God’s communication to us.


The word law is from the Hebrew word torah, which means “instruction.”


The word testimonies is from the Hebrew word ‘edot, which means “what God solemnly testifies to be his will.”


The word precepts is from the Hebrew word piqqudim, which means “what God has appointed to be done.”


The word statutes is from the Hebrew words khuqqim; khuqqot, which mean “what the divine Lawgiver has laid down.”


The word commandments is from the Hebrew word mitswot, which means “what God has commanded.”


The word rules is from the Hebrew word mishpatim, which means “what the divine Judge has ruled to be right.”


The word word is from the Hebrew words ‘imrah; dabar, which mean “what God has spoken.”


REFLECTION


I have read and reread this psalm quite a few times during the past four weeks. Over and over again I am hit by these ideas:


· What God has told us is what is true. It is the way things really are.


· He is telling us the BEST way to live life. He has given his testimonies to us in “righteousness and in all faithfulness.” (138)


· His communication to us is a precious thing and is something to be treasured, something to be longed for and desired.


· Obedience by the believer to the LORD’s revelations produces joy and peace and life and understanding and light.


“Great peace have those who love your law:

nothing can make them stumble.”


I wonder how much of our anxiety and even mental illness is a result of not loving God’s law. It is easy to make excuses for ourselves.


We should learn from this psalmist who ends the psalm this way:


“I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant,

for I do not forget your commandments.”


He responds in humility and repentance to God’s commands. He is not arrogantly assuming that he is able to obey. He KNOWS he strays. He is not relying on obedience to save him. He asks God to seek him, like the shepherd does a lost sheep. He rests in God’s steadfast love, in God’s mercy and forgiveness.


What he doesn’t say is, “Oh, I can’t keep these commands so they don’t matter.”


He doesn’t say, “God’s laws are hard to keep so I’m just going to get rid of some that don’t seem fair.”


Or this, “It’s okay if I just keep a few. I’ll pick the ones I think are most important.”


We live after the cross. We see God’s love and mercy and forgiveness freely offered through Jesus, who died to rescue us. We talk a lot about grace.


But grace is nothing if there isn’t law. If there is no TRUE way to live, then there is no FALSE way. If RIGHT doesn’t matter, then neither does WRONG. There is nothing to forgive if there is no command to keep.


My heart is overflowing with joy and thanksgiving as I write this. God has revealed to us what is right and true and the way we should live. He gives me His word because He wants me to live the way He, in His faithfulness and love, designed me to live. I long to keep His Word! I love His precepts! I hunger and thirst for them.


But I am like a lost sheep. I know I stray. That doesn’t make the commands invalid – it makes me turn to the One who sought me, who died and rose again so that I could be saved. I am His servant. I long to please Him. I thank Him that He keeps on seeking me.


APPLICATION


What about you?


PRAYER


Oh triune God, help me not to make excuses for sin. Help me to long for Your word and to use it as a plumb line in my life. Thank You for loving me and seeking me; thank You for finding me! You died in order to rescue me. Help me not to cheapen Your continual grace to me by diluting Your law or ignoring those commands that are difficult. I love You.


No comments: