Sunday, September 27, 2009

Psalms 123 - 125 Songs for the Pilgrim

by Becky

LINKS


Psalm 123, Psalm 124, Psalm 125

BACKGROUND

We continue with the “Songs of Ascent” which the faithful Jewish pilgims to Jerusalem sang as they traveled to worship in the city of God, often from places where they were troubled by those who didn’t believe in Jehovah.


REFLECTION

The songs of the Jewish pilgrims on foot journey to Jerusalem, their heart expressions to the LORD, touch my own heart. I have, at various times in my life, been able to express the same thoughts and needs in my own pilgrim walk toward the City of God.


There have been times when I’ve felt contempt and scorn from those who think that following Christ is foolish and I have cried to God for mercy. (Psalm 123). Sometimes I have even waited for Him as a loyal servant: with patience and trust and a realization that I am here to serve Him, not the other way around!


There have been times when I have suffered and been brought out on the other side to realize that I actually made it intact spiritually! God kept me from being completely overwhelmed; He kept me from being trapped (Psalm 124).


There have been times when I have known the LORD’s protection and understood clearly that the LORD is the One who gives stability and peace in the midst of persecution and chaos. He has kept me from being tossed and turned like a leaf on a stream. I have dwelt secure within the mountain that is God (Psalm 125). Don’t you love that simile?


APPLICATION

Which psalm especially speaks to you? Notice the metaphors and similes in these!


Are you, in the midst of trouble, waiting in trust and hope for God’s mercy, realizing that He is in charge and you are His servant? It is easy to forget who serves whom sometimes.


Have you seen God’s protection in the past? Use that to bolster your faith now!


If you are going through difficulties now, don’t get swept along by them! Dwell in the mountain that is our LORD!


PRAYER

We praise you, our LORD, for your care of us. Help us to pause and reflect on these psalms today. Help your people who are in the midst of persecution and trial to look to you. Give them your help, you protection, your mercy and peace, as they wait on you.

No comments: