Sunday, September 6, 2009

Psalm 119:89-128 - Wholehearted Obedience

by Becky


LINK: Psalm 119: 89 – 128


REFLECTION


I have trusted in the LORD since I was a little girl. He was a very real presence in my life even then. I absolutely believed that He loved me, that I was special to Him. I remember lying in my bed at night when I was 8 or 9, talking to God in my mind. I confided secrets to Him. I wondered aloud to Him; I asked Him questions; I sorted through what I’d experienced during the day; I told Him I loved Him; I longed for Him to know that I believed Him, that I trusted Him.


Actually, though, I found myself wondering if simply telling Him I loved Him was enough! I could SHOW my parents my love. I could hug them (and get hugged back!), I could do things for them. It was very dissatisfying to me that I seemed to only be able to SAY, “I love You” to God in my head. I wanted to hug Him! To demonstrate I loved Him.


One day, somewhere, I heard the verse from John that says, “If you love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15) Those words sank into my heart! I still remember the joy I felt when I realized that I COULD HUG GOD! Obeying Him was like giving Him a big hug! I didn’t obey Him because I wanted to earn His love. I obeyed Him to show Him that I LOVE HIM!


I think this is the essence of this psalm. It is a poetic statement of the truth that if we love God we will keep His commandments. It is a celebration of the gift of God’s instructions. The psalmist is full of the goodness of God! He understands in his heart that God is who it’s all about, that he belongs to the LORD. He understands that God is the root of all reality and the giver of all good things. He trusts God. He LOVES GOD.


He wants to be wholehearted in his pursuit of God. That’s why he expresses delight in God’s Word. That’s why he loves the LORD’s commands. That’s why he longs for them, hungers for them, fixes his eyes on them. He doesn’t pretend to be perfect; he simply loves God and yearns to express that love through wholehearted obedience.


“Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,

who seek Him with their whole heart …” (v 2)


“…with my whole heart I keep your precepts.” (v 69)


“I am Yours..” (v 94)


“Your testimonies are my heritage forever,

for they are the joy of my heart.” (v 111)


“I am your servant,; give me understanding,

that I may know your testimonies!

… Therefore I love your commandments

above gold, above fine gold.

Therefore I consider all your precepts to be right;

I hate every false way. (vv 125-128)


APPLICATION


What about you? Do you yearn to be whole hearted in your pursuit of the LORD or are you double minded?

Are you keeping God’s commandments because you love Him? Are you giving God lots of hugs? ;-)


PRAYER


Father, help me to yearn for You the way this psalmist did. I love You! Help me to treasure Your commands, Your word, and to be wholehearted in my obedience.

No comments: