Sunday, September 20, 2009

Psalms 120 - 122 - Walking With and To God

by Becky

LINKS: Psalm 120, Psalm 121, Psalm 122


BACKGROUND


Today we begin a series of psalms known as Songs of Ascent which will continue through Psalm 134. They are pilgrim songs, songs sung on the way up to Jerusalem for worship. The Jewish pilgrims sang them as they drew nearer and nearer the presence of God, as they looked forward to entering fully once again the blessings of His love and redemption.


REFLECTION


These three psalms vary widely in tone. Psalm 120 is a lament. The psalmist speaks of being wounded by the arrows of someone’s tongue and he cries to God in distress. He longs for peace, but in captivity he has been placed among people who don’t want peace, who prefer to deceive. (The two place mentioned in this psalm, Meshech and Kedar are not only far from Jerusalem, but from each other – perhaps symbols of how far God’s people were taken from God’s presence in Zion.) I think it’s fitting that the Songs of Ascent begin with this one. The poet cries out to God and surely must look forward to coming at last to the truthful peace of God’s temple in Jerusalem.


Psalm 121 reassures not only the pilgrim winding his way to Jerusalem, but all of us who belong to God on our life pilgrimage to God. The way to Jerusalem was full of dangers: the rocky, hilly paths, the weather, evil people, dangers in the day and in the night. So is life. This psalm reminds me in my pilgrimage that God is my help. The one who made heaven and earth surely has the power to keep me. He doesn’t sleep, so He’s always with me. I love that word “keep”! He keeps me. He will help me finish my journey!


I can never read Psalm 122 without thinking of Sundays when I was a child. It seems there were inevitably squabbles and arguments in the car on the way to church and I can still remember my mom turning around in the front seat, taking a deep breath, and saying brightly, “ ‘I was glad when they said unto me, let us go to the house of the Lord!’ Now you three say it with me.” Well, it’s hard to squabble when you’re saying a verse and though we inwardly groaned, it actually worked! I wonder if Jewish mothers sang this song to their children as they dragged their feet up the hills toward Jerusalem!


And really, how true is it of me even now? How often to I go to my LORD all the while fuming at someone else, or with an unforgiving attitude, or mentally justifying my side in a disagreement? Going to worship reminds me that I am here, I exist, for God’s sake. If I seek His good, then I will seek the good of my pilgrim companions as well. That puts squabbles in perspective!


APPLICATION


Which of these psalms applies most to you today? We worship our LORD every day, but today is the special day of worship, when we gather with others who love the LORD to focus on Him. Have you been living far away from God and you long to return to Him? Are you fearful? Are you in the midst of a quarrel, trying to justify yourself?


Turn your heart and mind to worship God! He keeps us! Two of these psalms mention that Zion (God’s city) is a place of peace – a peace based on truth and judgment – on redemption and love. Focus on the LORD Jesus who fully represents God to us – who came in truth to redeem us from our own sin. Know His peace.


PRAYER


Thank You, Lord, for Your peace and that You keep us on our walk with You. These psalms seem to me to speak of my fragility and helplessness and yes, my self-centeredness. I thank you that my walk with You doesn’t depend on me – but on You! My one task is to keep my eyes on You. Help me to refocus right now on You. Thank you for your mercy and forgiveness – for the peace that You offer all those who come to You in faith.


“I was glad when they said unto me, ‘Let us go to the house of the LORD!’ “

No comments: