Wednesday, June 12, 2013

2 Corinthians 4 - Light into Darkness

LINK: 2 Corinthians 4

BACKGROUND 


Warren Wiersbe writes at the end of 2 Corinthians 3 in The Bible Exposition Commentary, "When your ministry involves the glory of God -- you cannot quit!" (Volume 1, p. 641). This is a perfect segue into this chapter!


Paul and his band had many reasons to be discouraged in ministry (2 Corinthians 1:8), but they did not quit because of the ministry of glory that they had been given. How can one stop bringing transformation to all who believe? Who wouldn't want life, light, salvation, and righteousness? Paul and his band did not preach for selfish gain (like the false teachers) but were servants preaching Christ Jesus as Lord. They were merely vessels to reveal the Light of Christ to a dark world. 


Continuing from 2 Corinthians 3:14-16, Paul explains that the minds of Jews were "veiled" because they were blind and hardened in their hearts and minds (Romans 11:25). This is true of the Gentiles too. Only Christ can illuminate the darkness of the unbelieving whose minds have been blinded by Satan (4:4). 


Despite affliction of every kind, Paul and his band saw it only as temporary in light of the glory that would be revealed to them in eternity. They were convinced that their death meant life for many! 


REFLECTION 

I used to get discouraged in ministry, especially in my 20s. When suffering would come, I would whine and run away. Sitting with 20-somethings in counseling, I see so much of me back then. Actually, most are further along than I was at their age. That gives me hope. 


I am at a standstill in a particular aspect of my ministry right now, but I do not give up! Paul encourages me to keep on keeping on! I see that a closed door in one area means an open door in (and more time to devote to) another area. More and more, I can see God's sovereign hand directing me to one place or another. It is so exciting to just be a passenger in His car enjoying the scenery along the way. Sure, there is "momentary suffering" here and there, but it is nothing to God's overall plan and picture! 

2023 Update: It took me a while to figure out what the "standstill" was, but I looked at the date of this post (6/12, but it was 2010 as I brought them forward for the next cycle of the BBC), and it was right after a very discouraging setback. It took me three months to work through it (I spent three days at the beach in prayer until the breakthrough), we let go, and then, a year later, we were handed the sweetest gift of ministry that we still are involved with today! Praise God for that standstill!

APPLICATION 


How do you respond when discouragement in ministry comes? Talk to God about it. Work through it with Him. Listen carefully to what He tells you about yourself and His plan for you. 


PRAYER


Lord, thank You that Paul knew where he was going. Help us to know our identity and Your destiny for us. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am thinking through about that time at the beach, and it is a Golden Memory! (I need to put a link to this in the blog) God met me so powerfully in letting go of the discouragement of that set-back. God is so good!