Sunday, June 30, 2013

TOOL TIME TIMES TWO: Structuring and Word Studies

It's Bible Study TOOL TIME TIMES TWO TODAY (oh how I love alliterations)!

Structuring (fabulous to do with Epistles!)

One of the things I often do when studying Scripture is structuring. This helps me to understand the flow of thought in the chapter or book. This tool takes some practice. Here is my example to get an idea of how it is done: 

Ephesians 1  (Print it off and enjoy Paul's rambling!)

Word Studies

Ephesians 1 is FULL of rich words that have a FULLER meaning when you define them in the original language. Here is a handout to download for doing it with a Strong's Concordance


How to Do a Greek Word Study

In addition to the Strong's Concordance, I use:

(The Old Testament word definitions are not that great. So, you can get a cheap used copy of just New Testament words HERE.) 


The Complete Word Study Old Testament and New Testament.

(I have all of the above resources in electronic form through the premier Logos Bible Software because I did not want to carry all those heavy books overseas. It is an investment though. I have built up my library since 1996 when it was much cheaper to buy the initial package.)

There are many online tools(and many more since I wrote this post in 2010). Here are some things specifically for this chapter:

Vine's online with the definition of the word "chosen"


Bible Study Tools: Ephesians 1 with Strong's numbers hyperlinked

To set this up, you must always be on the New American Standard Bible or King James Version, click on the "settings" button on the far right that I have circled in red in this example from Exodus 36:


This will lead you to a drop-down menu: 


When you click on "Strongs Numbers," it will show Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament) words in blue. If you click on the blue words, they will lead you to a new page with the definition! 

The website www.preceptaustin.org has some amazing study tools:


Greek Word Studies 



The online options keep expanding and growing so explore!  I like to define words and then rewrite the passage in my own words with my newfound understanding of what the words mean in the original language. Don't leave out talking to God as you rewrite the passage. What words "shimmer" for you? How is God speaking to you through that word? Interact with Him about it. It is nice to pray through it in a Lectio Divina way. 

The only caution is to not spend all your time on word studies and forget to ask God how He wants you to live it out. 

This is a pitfall of getting “carried away” in word studies! 

So get read for Ephesians Tomorrow!

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I split the Ephesians 1 post up because it was SO LONG already!