Sunday, June 16, 2013

2 Corinthians 8 - The Grace of Giving

LINK: 2 Corinthians 8

BACKGROUND

The churches in Macedonia (Philippi, Thessalonica, and Berea) had given toward the collection for the struggling Jerusalem church even though they were poor also, and Paul used them as an example to challenge the Corinthian church to excel in the grace of giving. Apparently, the Corinthian church had money, but they had not acted on their promise.  Paul encouraged them to do so. Paul sent Titus and two unnamed representatives to gather the collection from the Corinthian church. The Corinthians could demonstrate their love by their giving. 

REFLECTION

I feel convicted! We had purposed to give to something, and we have been so busy we have not gotten around to doing it. So, I need to just write that check with a joyful heart! It is good to get this kick!  Don't you love the Word of God?

From personal experience, I have had other situations where I just did not think I could give, but I gave in faith, and it was amazing what happened afterward; blessings upon blessings (not just material). 

APPLICATION

Are you being prompted to give to something that will glorify God? Do not delay!

PRAYER

Lord, teach us to give out of love for You and to give in faith. We pray this in Jesus' name, Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Whew! I finally got around to giving to something I had purposed to give to when reading in the Old Testament. There were other posts about it, and I still had not done it. FINALLY, I remembered to bring my checkbook to church and give to the wonderful ministry God had laid on my heart!