Monday, June 24, 2013

Galatians 2:1-10 - Gospel Alone

LINK: Galatians 2:1-10

BACKGROUND


The critics of Paul accused him of being a lone ranger who did not confer with the other Apostles. In this passage, Paul emphasizes that all his actions were endorsed by the leaders in Jerusalem. Most commentators believe Paul is referring to the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15. Paul says that even Titus, a Gentile believer, did not see it necessary to be circumcised since this was one of the main reasons there was a council in Acts 15. The main point of the Jerusalem Council was to cement that Jews and Gentiles were saved by faith in Jesus Christ alone and did not need to be circumcised


Some believe that Paul is referring to the "famine visit" in Acts 11:27-30 because Paul mentions that the leaders in Jerusalem had one request: remember the poor (2:10). 


REFLECTION


Paul was not a lone ranger, and we should not be either. We need to be in community as we do ministry and make decisions. 


Yesterday, one of the single women I meet with Skyped me to tell me that the guy she had been "hanging out with" had asked her if they could look into being more than friends.  She had not thought that she should be more than friends before this and was planning on telling him so when he beat her to it. When he asked her, instead of saying, "No!" She said, "I cannot answer you right now, I need to pray about it and talk to my community first."


Then, she called two of her close friends (a "clearness committee" of sorts), and they prayed and sought to listen to what God said about it. She was surprised to hear God telling her to explore this relationship! (She had been dead set against it when I met with her three days before.)


She doesn't know if it will lead toward marriage, but she felt God was pleased with it and would lead the two of them every step of the way, regardless of where it eventually would lead. He is a man of immensely good character and will be very careful with her. I think that is very healthy!


I said, "Amen to that!" 


Update 2015: She was over last night and has been happily married to him since December 2014!

Update 2023: She had moved out of the area for years, but she is back, and we just got together last month. She is still happily married with two small children now!

APPLICATION


Do you make decisions apart from the community that holds you accountable? Do you even have a community that holds you accountable?

Have you ever practiced community discernment? We have done it several times with our local community, and it is just a lovely process. This guide is very helpful for that:


Another book that is excellent:


I was told this many years ago. (I cannot remember by whom):

"The road to spiritual maturity is in the carpool lane."

Ponder that quote!

PRAYER

Lord, I praise You that You have given us the body of Christ! Help us to not be lone rangers! Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I added some resources that have come since I wrote this original blog, and I had a fun time trying to remember who the woman was that I was talking about, but then it clicked! I am going to send her this link!