Monday, March 7, 2011

Exodus 30 - The Altar of Incense and Bronze Laver

LINK: Exodus 30

BACKGROUND

The Altar of Incense

This 1.5' square x 3' high altar was for burning incense in front of the veil that was in front of the mercy seat that is over the ark of the testimony. Aaron was to burn incense there when he trimmed the lamps in the morning and at twilight. Incense rising often symbolized the prayers of God's people throughout Scripture (Psalm 141:2, Luke 1:10; Revelation 5:8; 8:3-4).

Once a year, Aaron was to make atonement (cleanse and reconsecrate it) on its horns with the blood of atonement. This was the "Day of Atonement," and we will talk more about this day in Leviticus 16.

At this time, every male, twenty years of age or older was to give money for atonement. They gave it for service of the tent of meeting and to ward off plagues. I am not sure why they took a census in the first place, but one commentator said perhaps it was to have an official role for duties in the Lord's service. The ransom is an extension of Exodus 13:13 where every firstborn of man was to be redeemed. They were to be consecrated to the LORD for their life. This is the basis for Nehemiah 10:32. In the New Covenant, we are all to be consecrated per Romans 12:1, 2:
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (NASB95)  
The Bronze Laver (Basin)


From: http://www.slideshare.net/rickbowen547/the-shadow-of-jesus-in-the-tabernacle

Aaron and his sons would need to wash here in order to not die before they made sacrifices at the altar of sacrifice. We will talk more about what it was made out of in Exodus 38:8.

While the altar speaks of salvation through a sin offering, the laver speaks of sanctification that needs to be continual.


The Holy Anointing Oil

This expensive oil was to be used only by the priests and for the furnishings and utensils in the tabernacle. It was not to be used for any other purpose, and no layman was to use it. The ingredients may be self-explanatory except cassia which is the fragrant bark of a tree.

The Incense

The pure incense was made of:
Stacte - a powder taken from the middle of hardened drops of myrrh--rare and very valuable. 
Onychamade from mollusk shells.  
Galbanum - a rubbery resin taken from the roots of flowering plants that are common in Syria and Persia. 
Frankincense - a resin from the bark of Boswellia carteri that grows in Arabia.

This incense was holy and was not to be copied or used for any other reason. Since it was to be burned before the testimony in the tent of meeting (30:36), we can assume it was to be burned on the altar of incense.

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption 

I just noticed that myrrh and frankincense were two of the ingredients in this holy incense, and these were offered by the magi at the birth of Jesus!

The whole Tabernacle points to Jesus. Please see this excellent PowerPoint for an overview of what I have been sharing over this portion of Exodus: 

The Shadow of Jesus in the Tabernacle


REFLECTION

May my prayer be counted as incense before You;
The lifting up of my hands as the evening offering.
 (Psalm 142:2)

Are my prayers burning morning and evening before God? As I meditated on Exodus 30 today, I tried to envision the sweet-smelling incense of my prayers rising to God. The priests burned their incense morning and night, and it was a sacred duty. I do not want to say it is my duty to pray because that sounds too legalistic, but I want it to be my sacred delight to offer my prayers as sweet-smelling incense to the Lord. I want to live a life consecrated to God in prayer and service since Jesus has made us to be a kingdom, priests to our God and Father to His glory (Revelation 1:6).

I once heard a fellow Bible study leader say that she loved to study God's Word but that she really did not get into prayer. I wondered how you could have one without the other and visa-versa. Bible study naturally leads us to prayer and prayer naturally leads us to Bible study. The two meld together so much as we grow in Christ that they are not even seen as separate activities. They are like fingers on each hand intertwined, that grip tightly around the Lord to where all you really see is the single grip and not the individual fingers. Does that make sense? Even as I meditate on this passage, I pray.

In my heart, I am trying not to get out of balance. I LOVE to study God's word, but if I just study it and do not dialogue with the Lord as I am studying, it is a flat academic exercise rather than a dynamic growing relationship.  It is all about a relationship with Him!


APPLICATION

Allow your prayers to rise like incense before the Lord today! You might like to do something radical like actually burning incense to remind yourself to keep in communion in prayer to the Lord throughout the day. 

Hey, I have some frankincense and myrrh incense that my neighbor gave me one Christmas. I think this is how I will apply it! I'm not sure how to burn them though. Time to Google it!


PRAYER

I used to help lead singing in a "Watchwoman" prayer group, and this is a song we often sang during our prayer times. I thought it was so appropriate for today! Every cycle of the Bible Book Club, I am always glad I take time to worship God and enter into the Holy of Holies singing this song.

“Into Your Courts” (Listen to music here)

Into Your courts we come
Deep in our hearts we long to be
Near to the throne of Your glory

As we draw near to You
Know that we're here to do Your will
God how we long to be near to You

May our prayers be like incense rising
Up to Your throne
May our songs be a fragrance unto You

May our lives be as pleasing off'rings
In all that we do
God how we long to be near to You
God how we long to be near to You
(song by Gerrit Gustafson)

8 comments:

Dancingirl said...

How can we not pray as we read God's word? I always wonder that - and wonder if those who say they don't pray see pray as something formal or deliberate rather than as a dialogue or response? As I read God's work my heart/mind are asking God questions or thanking Him or wondering to Him. Not much time right now so what I mean might not be clear. I'll try to get back to explain more later.

Interesting that the incense mixes couldn't be used for anything other than what God prescribed. I'm wondering about that. Not really why, but wondering if there's something should be getting from that fact that I'm not at the moment! Any thoughts?

Dancingirl said...

Ackk! Too many mistakes in previous comment! That should be "prayer" and "God's word".

And in the second paragraph that should read "wondering if there's something I should be getting".

Carol Ann Weaver said...

The incense was not to be "common" but "set apart" for a specific use, holy for the LORD. I think this is what I got out of that.

Yes, prayer and Scripture intertwined. I will say that I if we are doing study just to "prepare" for something else, it can become just that and not a prayerful exercise. It becomes more homework than being with God.

I also wonder if that is more the case for "T" type of personality too.

Anonymous said...

You touched on an interesting fact, that the incense was to be exact in its measurements of the 4 items and the sodom salt. The incense itself is symbolic of CHRIST'S prayer, not ours, therefore it must be perfect. Each item represents an aspect of HIS prayer. He is our perfect intercessor for our imperfect prayers, and His Spirit reveals the things of our heart to the Father for us that we could not express adequately. The prayer ACCOMPANIES the incense just as our prayer is lifted up to the Father by Jesus.

Anonymous said...

To change the incense formula is to say that it doesn't matter who your Savior is (since the incense represents Christ)and who you pray through, you will be heard. Scripture clearly refutes this. There is no way to the Father except through Christ.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks for commenting Julian!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am going to have a worship time with that song I posted back in 2008. It is so not in the usual worship mix, but it sure was back then! I miss it! Off for a time of song.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Well that was fun! George doesn't even remember that song from the 90s!