Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Exodus 33 - Moses, the Intercessor

LINK: Exodus 33

BACKGROUND

God reiterated His command to go to the promised land of Canaan and promised to send an angel, but He said He would NOT go with them in their midst because of the obstinate ("like unresponsive oxen or horses") people of Israel who made that golden calf.

Moses' response was to go to the "tent of meeting" (The tabernacle had not been built yet) outside the camp where The LORD would speak to Moses "face to face, just as a man would speak to his friend" (33:11).

Moses boldly interceded for the people based on this "face to face" relationship with God. He was concerned that the LORD would not go up in their midst. He wanted God's presence with them. As a result of Moses' concerned intercession, God responded with these beautiful words:

"My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest." (33:14)

God responded because of Moses' appeal on the grounds that God's people needed to be distinguished from all the other people on earth. As I said yesterday, remember one of the bottom line themes in the Old Testament is that "all the peoples would know the God of Israel." This is so important to grasp.

God did what Moses asked because Moses had found favor in God's sight and He had known him by name (17). As a result of this, Moses asked to see God's glory, and God told him how to behold His veiled glory as it passed. We will see how this happens in the next chapter.

REFLECTION

I don't know about you, but there is one thing I long for more than anything: to know God's presence and speak to Him as a friend. Intimacy with God is my heart's desire. It reminds me of my favorite verse:
One thing I have asked of the LORD that I will seek;
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD,
And to meditate in His temple (Psalm 27:4).

Don't you want that too?

One of my favorite statements by God is . . .


My presence shall go with you, 
and I will give you rest 
(33:14)

I want that 24/7/365 relationship with God. I want a moment-by-moment awareness of His presence with me. This is possible because of the Holy Spirit within us. We are now the temple of the very presence of God. Isn't that amazing?

When I stop and really consider God's presence, it makes me relax if I am worried, fretful, or just having a bad day. God's presence gives me rest. What balm to my soul.

I want to continue to cultivate a relationship with the LORD that is minute-by-minute. I want my heart to be completely His at all times. I have a long way to go, but this is my desire.

One thing that has helped me maintain closeness with the Lord has been to intentionally break away from the routine of life to go "outside the camp" much like Moses did to seek the Lord. He was a busy man with plenty of responsibility, but he took time out to seek the Lord's face. I do this by taking a regular "prayer retreat" every other month or so. I call them "My Lord and Me" times. It is a time where God has 100% of my attention. I stop the craziness of life, look full into God's face, and listen to what He has to say to me. It may seem passive, but it is a very dynamic face-to-face time with the Lord. I heartily recommend it!

Moses' intimacy with God also led him to intercession for the people God gave him to lead. I am taking notes throughout Scripture on the character and actions of the people God chooses to use. Intimacy with God and a life of intercessory prayer are key traits of a good leader. I am challenged by this. I want to be a prayer warrior for those He entrusts me to lead.

APPLICATION

When is the last time you went "outside the camp" and sought the Lord? Can you pencil in some extended time with God for intimacy and intercession in the next month? I led a women's leadership class in 2005-2006 and most of the women commented that the scheduled half-day in prayer was the most significant thing they did the whole year! Many of those women continue to do it as a regular practice and have been very blessed.

If you need some structure, you can download this helpful handout: "How to Spend a Day in Prayer"  by Lorne Sanny, former president of The Navigators. It has been a blessing to me, and I often refer back to it during my retreat days. I let the Lord lead without any structure too. It depends on the particular day of prayer.

PRAYER

Lord, thank You that You dwell in us. Help us to appropriate Your presence on a 24/7/365 basis. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

7 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Verse 13 is one of my favorites...what a great thing to pray! I love how it is a "growth thing." "If I have found favor in Thy sight, let me know Thy ways, that I may know Thee, so that I may find favor in Thy sight. Moses knows he is chosen, and has found favor with God, but he wants to continue to find favor with God. His method of doing this is to know God's ways, which will lead to knowing God Himself.

How I have Scripture to read, study, and meditate on. I have access to the Holy of Holies, God's own presence. And when I make "markers" or "memorials" of pivotal times in my life, I began to see more clearly God's ways.

But I've also begun to realize that a lot of the things I enjoy--the complexity of people, good art, the wisdom of children, the glories of nature, etc--speak to me of God's ways. They show so much of His character, creativity, and love. They are valuable to me if I experience them as a means of knowing more of God's ways, and thus more of Him.

Dancingirl said...

I would love one of those handouts, Carol! Thanks!

I love this chapter. I love how Moses intercedes for the people; I love how God reveals Himself. Like it says, it's "face to face". And Moses' appeal to God is not for the sake of the people, but is an appeal to God for the sake of His Name, His reputation - that those people belonged to Him. I'm glad you brought that out - that the Israelites were to be a witness to the nations.

Laura, glad you highlighted that verse! I hadn't noticed it particularly. It is as I get to know His ways that I get to know Him and find His favor.

Susanne Barrett said...

I love spending time "face to face" with God. It never seems long enough!

Our women's retreat at Lake Murray is coming up April 4-6, and we're going to have a half-day of quiet time on Saturday morning. I look forward to this special time all year.... :)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Hi Susanne! I've missed you!

LauraLiz said...

Meant to say that I'd like your handout too, Carol.

Noelle said...

Carol-

I just found this blog a few weeks ago, so I am trying to catch up. Thank you for the time you are putting into it, I am learning so much!

I would love a copy of the Day in Prayer handout, if you dont mind.

Thank you,

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I love to intercede.