Sunday, June 5, 2011

Joshua 7: Defeat at Ai and a CHALLENGE

LINK: Joshua 7

BACKGROUND

Because Achan did not destroy the devoted things "under the ban" when they defeated Jericho, Israel suffered the needless slaughter of 36 soldiers at the hands of the "few" inhabitants of Ai. Joshua's fervent prayer revealed Achan's sin. Consequently, Achan, his "things under the ban," sons, daughters, livestock, and property were all destroyed.

The "beautiful mantle of Shinar" was probably a garment made of fine materials from Babylon. Babylon was famous for its garments that were interwoven with pictures of various colors.

Joshua said Achan has been "trouble" for Israel. The name Achan is believed to mean "troubler," and the Valley of Achor means "valley of trouble."

REFLECTION

I am not going to lie. This passage is hard for me. I have struggled for the last half hour to write words, but they are not coming. Achan did a sinful thing. The punishment was death. Yet, even his sons and daughters were killed for Achan's sin? That is tough. 

Deuteronomy 24:16 says that children are not to be punished for their father's sins and everyone will be punished for their own sin. So, can we assume that they were part of the coveting and cover-up and deserved to die along with Achan? I think that we have to since it is a command of God. I have to look at this and trust that God is sovereign, holy, wise, good, loving but also just. 

It is interesting to note that there is no mention of Achan's wife being stoned to death in this passage. We do not know why. Maybe she was not part of it or maybe she was dead.

I also want to look at this and consider where I might be holding on to things that are forbidden and must be destroyed to allow all that I have to be totally devoted to Him.

APPLICATION

Are there any thoughts, practices, or possessions that hinder your devotion to Him? Dispose of them promptly!

Here is a fun application: 

JOSHUA WALK CHALLENGE

Challenge: Take a walk around the perimeter of any area that needs to be claimed for Jesus for six days. Then take seven laps around the perimeter on the seventh day. It could be your neighborhood, children's school, courthouse, workplace; or anywhere you are sensing "spiritual walls" that need to come down.

Come on and get your shoes on!

See more about Prayerwalking HERE.

PRAYER

Lord, we want to be totally devoted to You. You want all of us and when there is sin in our lives, You cannot have all of us. Please root out all those things that are displeasing to You and use us for Your glory. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

Many Aspire, Few Attain

Things were more important to Achan than people! This reminded me of this principle in Many Aspire, Few Attain:
13. Walk by Faith (or Stay in the People Business) 
In the beginning living by faith has an excitement which is unlike anything else. But after a while, the novelty of it begins to wear off and it begins to seem more desirable to have some security--to be able to count on something rather than trusting God all the time. 
And then, slowly things begin to become more important. What you have, rather than what God can provide becomes your security. We can easily push this to the extreme. One woman I know does not like to have people in her home because they mess it up. If your home, or any of your possessions, become more important than people, you are already out of the battle. God is interested in people, and when our security is in Him, what happens to things is no longer important. If your rugs, sofa and cut glass bowls are more important than people, you will never qualify for the battle.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

I had the same question about Achan's daughters dying with him. And I think they must have known about the items he brought home since they lived there, and were therefore accomplices in the sin. At any point during the lot-drawing process, Achan or his daughters could have confessed. They knew they were sinning. But they all seem to have hardened their hearts rather than repent. So very sad!

Katrina said...

Another thought -- This is one of those chapters that makes me really realize how serious God is about sin. I might try to make light of it or brush it off as insignificant or deny it or harden my heart toward it or make excuses for it. But God is DEAD SERIOUS about sin! And He is the One we have to answer to. Very sobering.

Dancingirl said...

I also think that there must have been some complicity on the part of Achan's sons and daughters that caused them to be punished. God knows the hearts of all and after reading about Rahab and how God sought her out and spared her and her family (whoever sheltered with her), I think it's clear that if there is some belief God knows it and honors it. Otoh (I'm good at other hands) with both Rahab and with Achan, it seems that there is more of a group mindset than we have today. We think more of the individual today than of the group.

I'm going back a few days with this next comment. When the "captain of the army of the Lord" appeared to Joshua, Joshua asked him, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"

"Neither..." was the answer. I've been pondering that. So often we try to put God in a box - is He for this or this, when so often the answer is probably neither. God's captain was for God, not for Jericho, not for Joshua and the Israelites, but for what would advance God's plan and be to His ultimate glory.

Does this make any sense? I'll explain more if not... at this point I'm so late making the comment I'm not sure anyone will rad this!

Dancingirl said...

Also wanted to say that I'll take you up on the challenge! I just have to find a seven day stretch when I can walk. (And July in the South is not a good time to walk midday!) I'd like to do our neighborhood - a racially mixed, urban area.

Katrina said...

Your thoughts on the Commander of the Army made perfect sense. :-) Here's what I wrote in my journal on that --

The Lord is not on one side or the other of man's battles. . . . God does not choose to be on "my side." God is the one in charge of the battle. He is already the Captain. I must join Him rather than ask Him to join me.

God definitely doesn't fit in our boxes!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I plan a Joshua Walk around my neighborhood in May. Then I will do a 12 hour walk (from that challenge). I also hope to do that on the campus this summer.