Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Judges 2 - Israel's Sin Cycle

LINK: Judges 2

BACKGROUND

Because the people did not obey by driving out all the inhabitants (weeds), they would be thorns in their sides and their gods were to be a snare.

Judges 2:6-3:6 continues the narrative of Joshua 24:28-31. It is a survey of all the things that will be described in detail in Judges 3:7 - 16:31 that follow a predictable pattern:
  1. Sin - They fell into sin and started worshiping other gods
  2. Servitude - God gave them into the hands of their plunderers and sold them into the hands of their enemies
  3. Supplication - Israel cried out to God for deliverance
  4. Salvation - The Lord delivered them by raising up a judge who delivered them from their enemies
  5. Silence - The land had rest until the judge died and the cycle started all over again!
God often used oppression to bring his people back to Him just as He warned He would in Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28.

REFLECTION

What an exhausting cycle! I just cannot understand it. Why didn't they just obey and be a holy nation through whom the whole world would be blessed as promised to Abraham in Genesis 12?

We know that the blessing of the whole world would only be fulfilled in the coming of the Messiah, Jesus!

It is easy for me to throw stones at the Israelites until I realize that I have been trapped in a cycle of sin and servitude many times in my life! Let's thank the Lord that because of Jesus "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

APPLICATION

Are you caught in a cycle of sin? Claim 1 John 1:9 and "confess and press" on. If you are in bondage to a cycle of sin, try praying through Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds by Beth Moore. I have found it a very powerful tool for getting to the root of persistent sin issues in my life and use it on a regular basis.

The Immanuel Approach may also be helpful. 

PRAYER

Lord, I praise You for the forgiveness that we have because of the blood of Jesus Christ. Please help us to confess our sins to You and press on. Lord, break the cycle of sin in our life. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I just want to say that your website blesses me immensely. I am currently going through a great period of change and I am totally dependent on God to carry me through it. reading the bible everyday and meditating on it and its meaning has helped me so much. Thank you for your great insight and the great bits of knowledge and wisdom you share:) keep going! don't stop!!
Jackie

Carol Ann Weaver said...

YAY! Jackie, I am so glad you are being blessed. That warms my heart to hear that!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Bless you, Jackie, wherever you are today! I love Beth Moore's book, but sometimes cycles can only be broken by looking at our past and praying through that. I just read Moore's autobiography, and she would probably agree with that since things have come to light about her own past that has affected her today. That is why I give a link to the Immanuel Approach above. I also think therapy with a licensed Christian therapist can be really beneficial.