Sunday, June 12, 2011

Joshua 15 - Allotment for Judah

LINK: Joshua 15

BACKGROUND

Joshua 15:1 - 19:48 explains the allotment for the remaining tribes west of the Jordan. 

Judah, as the largest tribe, was the first to receive an inheritance. Jacob's prophecy in Genesis 49:8-9 is remarkably fulfilled. It was surrounded by foes (Moabites, Edomites, Amalekites, and Philistines). Thus, it would need strong rulers, like David, in order to survive. It was also suited for planting vineyards (Genesis 49:11-12). 

Scarlet Thread of Redemption


Judah was the tribe in which Jesus would come (Genesis 49:10; Matthew 1:1, 3; Luke 3:23, 33)!


REFLECTION

Are your eyes glazing over from all the details of land allotment? If you own a home, you may not know all the details of the deed to your house, but I am sure you are glad you have that deed and know the borders of your land. It provides a sense of security.

This is exactly what these details provided for the Israelites.

APPLICATION

Do you know what you "possess" because of what Jesus did for you? Meditate on Ephesians 1:3-14. This is one "deed" that I never get bored reading!

PRAYER

Lord, thank You for allotting to us a RICH spiritual inheritance in Christ Jesus. We are so grateful! Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Still not bored reading my "deed" because of Jesus! I am going to go meditate on Ephesians 1 again. I memorized this many years ago, and I am going to savor it once again. Hmm. I am leading a silent prayer time at 12:15 pm today. Maybe I will read this before we start our time.