Friday, November 18, 2011

Proverbs 10-12: Wisdom versus Folly

LINKS: Proverbs 10Proverbs 11, and Proverbs 12
(Read over the next three days)

BACKGROUND

We are starting a new section. Proverbs 10:1-22:16 are 375 short couplets by Solomon. The sayings in Proverbs 10-15 are recognized as authentic proverbs -- proverbs in which a contrast is usually introduced by the word but.  This contrast between wisdom/faithfulness and folly/wickedness is called antithetic parallelism. They are an expansion of what was covered in Proverbs 1-9. 

Although some of the verses in Proverbs 16:1-22:16 are contrasts, most of them are either comparisons (synonymous parallelism) or completions (synthetic parallelism) that are characterized by the word and.

REFLECTION and APPLICATION

So many of the verses spoke to me this morning, and I am responding in prayer. Some of them are too personal to share here and are meant to be processed with the Lord alone.  I hope you can set aside the time to process with the Lord too. Some of them have brought tears to my eyes. My heart is aching. 

On a happier note, it is my youngest son's birthday today, and I see him growing into a wise man! YAY!  "A wise son heeds his father's instruction" (13:1). Thankfully, his father is one of the wisest men I know. :)

2023 Update: He really has grown in wisdom, stature (6'9"), and favor with God and man (Luke 2:52).

PRAYER

Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom” (Psalm 51:6 NASB).  Make us know wisdom, God. We pray this in the name of Wisdom personified, Jesus. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

How to read about my son's birthday. He IS really wise. I had something pretty hard happen to me about 4 years ago, and he told me such WISE words during that time.