Sunday, November 13, 2011

Proverbs 5 - The Pitfalls of Adultery and Blessings of Married Love

LINK: Proverbs 5

BACKGROUND 


The adulterous woman in this chapter is a prostitute. The book of Proverbs has several warnings against illicit sex. The gist of the chapter is to stay away from her! Solomon speaks of the high cost of adultery in Proverbs 5:7-14.


In Proverbs 5:15-20, a freshwater well, cistern, and fountain represent the wife.  A man is exhorted to channel his desires toward his own wife and to be satisfied with her alone. The Amplified Bible says, "a pure marriage relationship."  The "them" in 5:17 is believed by some commentators to represent the children that flow out of such a union. When we stick to our spouse, our life is blessed. There are rewards with fidelity.


The chapter concludes with the warning that what seems like freedom really becomes bondage to sin. Adultery never ends well. 


REFLECTION 


"Why would you trade enduring intimacies for cheap thrills with a whore?" (Proverbs 5:20, The Message). My dad had a similar response when asked by his secretary, Irene, why he was so clueless about all the women at his workplace who came on to him on a daily basis. He said, "Why would I go out for a hamburger when I can have steak at home?"  


My dad loved steak, and he loved my mom. She was his steak. Not that she was a piece of meat, but they enjoyed their married love. That is the enduring legacy I had modeled to me every day of my life, an extremely healthy marriage. I am forever grateful. 







Married 29 years from June 23, 1956 - May 2, 1985 when my dad died of cancer


316 - Safe with my BFF


In this picture, I was away for a week, and I was so glad I am back together with my husband. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

APPLICATION 


If you are married, give yourself a check. Are you doing everything you can to guard your marriage from outside influences that are not healthy?


PRAYER


Lord, guard and protect the marriages in the Bible Book Club. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

That truly is the best gift my parents gave me: their enduring marriage. All these years later, I have been married for 33 years this July, and it has been the best thing. We are going hiking in the Oregon Coast range today. So, I better quit reading my Bible and go get ready!