Thursday, August 2, 2012

Jeremiah 4 - The Law of Cause and Effect

LINK: Jeremiah 4 

BACKGROUND

Notice the use of "If . . . then" in this chapter:
If you will return, O Israel . . . then the nations will bless themselves in Him and in Him they will glory. (4:2)
The choice was simple and would lead to blessings, but Judah chose unwisely.

Jeremiah uses figurative language to describe Judah as an unplowed field (hard-hearted and crowded with thorns) with uncircumcised hearts (they thought that physical circumcision guaranteed them salvation - Matthew 3:7-9; Acts 15:1-5). They were doing everything right on the outside, but their hearts were far from the Lord.

If they chose to continue to rebel and remain unrepentant, then the consequences would be the Babylonian Captivity.

The choice was that simple.

REFLECTION (written in 2009)

I always tell young mothers that parenting becomes much easier when children begin to understand the abstract concept of "if . . . then" (cause and effect) somewhere between four and five years of age. Before that time, it is all about making impulsive choices on their part without understanding the consequences of their behavior (we have so many funny stories about our "passionate Paul" and the hilarious choices he would make as a 3-year-old, but I will not embarrass him here). Before four years old, children are so irrational and require so much work. I always tell those young moms to hold on until their child understands "if . . . then." The fog does begin to clear. It really, really does.

When my kids reached that wonderful age, I would say, "Michael and/or Paul, if you choose this way, then this is what will happen (said with a frown on my face). If you choose this other way, then this will be the blessing (said with a great big smile on my face). It is your choice. Which will it be?" 

Their little minds would weigh the consequences carefully, and I would wait and pray that they would make the right decision. They caught on pretty early that the right choice was the better choice.

This was all about them beginning to make a lifetime of choices independently of me. I would not try to control, coerce, or cajole them into making a good choice, but I would try to lay out the positive and negative effects of their choices and leave it to them to make the call.

As teenagers, I believe they are making good choices on their own. I keep on asking them when they are going to start rebelling like all the books say they should, but they just look at me like, "Well that would be pretty stupid, Mom. Why would we want to do that?" 

I know that they will eventually be on their own. So, I cannot guarantee that they will make wise choices in the future. So, I continue to pray, pray, pray! I cannot make those choices for them. And God could not make the choices for Judah.

God said this about Judah:
They are senseless children who have no understanding. They are clever enough at doing wrong,
but they have no talent at all for doing right! (Jeremiah 4:22, NLT)
Judah did not make it past the four-year-old stage. Apparently, they did not understand the "if . . . then" principle clearly set out for them through the prophet Jeremiah. God was not going to control, coerce, or cajole them into obedience either, but He made it pretty clear that if they would return to Him, then there would be great blessings; and if they turned away, then there would be calamitous consequences.

Judah's passion to do evil and complacency toward God made them make the wrong choice, and the sound of the hoofbeats of Babylon could be heard in the distance.

So very sad.

APPLICATION

I did not understand the law of cause and effect when I was young, and I got myself in a heap of trouble when I got to college and was out from under my parents' roof. I was so naive about the evil that is in the world. I look back and shutter. I had to make a BIG traumatic choice my sophomore year in college (March 17, 1979, to be exact) to follow God rather than the world, and I am so glad that I made that choice! It has meant blessings (not without its ups and downs and many heartaches but blessings nonetheless)!

If you are a parent, pray for your kids by name right now. Pray that they will fully understand the law of causality and make wise choices that lead to blessings in their lives.

For everyone, pray that you will understand this law too! The cumulative effect of little choices made every day shapes the course of your life. Choose wisely in the little things today!

(2014 Update: My kids are both adults now, and I think they are making wise choices.)

2023 Update: My kids were 14 and 17 when I wrote this post, and the teenage years were not terrible but delightful. I continue to pray they make good choices as they are still emerging adults. I pray the four Cs - Communion (with God), Community (with other followers of Jesus), Companionship (with a spouse), and Career (that honors God). I also pray Luke 2:52, that they would increase in wisdom, and in stature (spiritual - they have the physical down at 6'6" and 6'8"), and in favor with God and men.

My loves on Mother's Day 2023. They are 31 and 28 years old.

PRAYER

Lord, thank You that You are a God who waits on high to show compassion on us. Thank You that You want to bless us if we will only give our whole heart to You. Help us, dear and precious Lord, to make good choices today and always. I also pray for those of us with children who have made poor choices, that You will speak to these children right now about Your good and perfect way, and that they would make choices for good and not for evil from this day forward. Guard and protect our children today and always. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! I'm not a mother yet but it just reaffirms to me that it is wise and right to look at the bible for answers in raising my future children.

I am blessed from the knowledge that your children are better because of the biblical way in which you blessed them!

thank you!

Jackie

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Blessings Jackie! I love thinking about my kids. They really are a joy to be around. Praying the four Cs!