Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jeremiah 26 & 27 - Do Not Listen to False Prophets!

LINK: Jeremiah 26 & 27

BACKGROUND 

Jeremiah 26 - Arrest and Trial 

Remember that Jeremiah's prophecies are not in chronological order. This chapter lines up with the "temple address" of Jeremiah 7-10. Jeremiah 26 is the response to that address. It was delivered early in the reign of King Jehoiakim who ascended the throne in 609 B.C. 



Jeremiah's "temple address" message is clear: listen, turn from your evil ways, and God will not bring the promised disaster. But instead of responding in obedience, the priests, prophets, and people arrested and tried Jeremiah as a false prophet! Jeremiah defended himself and reminded them that if they turned from their wicked ways, there was hope for deliverance. 

The officials of the court sided with Jeremiah and against the priests and false prophets. They referred to the prophet Micah who had made similar claims 70 years before (Micah 3:12). In that case, King Hezekiah responded in obedience to Micah's prophecy. Consequently, Micah was not put to death. But another prophet, Uriah, whose prophecies are not in the Bible, was put to death.  

Jeremiah 27 - The "Yoke" of Babylon

The year of this prophecy is 593 B.C. during the reign of King Zedekiah (some manuscripts say it is Jehoiakim, but the textual support makes it obvious it is Zedekiah). 

Jeremiah is commanded to make a yoke like one that they used to put oxen together:


File:Bullock yokes.jpg
By Cgoodwin (Own work) [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 
(www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

It was meant to symbolize the importance of Jerusalem and the other nations surrendering to the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon because he was God's "servant/chosen instrument" of judgment. This went against the false prophecies of Hananiah and others. Jeremiah warned the foreign ambassadors assembled not to listen to the false prophecies urging them not to rebel.  They should listen to his true prophecy if they wanted to live! 

REFLECTION 

The yoke of Babylon was a hard yoke. Naturally, Zedekiah and the kings of the other nations wanted to rebel against it.

While that yoke was hard, Jesus' yoke is easy and light! LISTEN to what He says:
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) 
The first time I meditated on these verses (June 1981), I did not know what a yoke was, and thought it was an egg yolk! Hopefully, this post will clear up any confusion you might have about the difference between "yolk" and "yoke."  

Jesus' yoke results in joy and rest!  I hope you will wear it today!

APPLICATION 

Picture yourself resting in the "yoke" of Jesus.  I hope you can see Him right next to You in everything you encounter throughout the day. Try to see the difference it makes!

Meditate in Matthew 11:28-30. I really love doing Lectio Divina in The Message paraphrase:

   Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. 
Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. 
I’ll show you how to take a real rest. 
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. 
I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 
Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.
(Matthew 11:28–30The Message)  

For more about learning the "unforced rhythms of grace" watch my video:




PRAYER

So glad to be yoked to You, Jesus! Help us to rest in You and find the joy of Your loving rule in our life. We submit to You. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I love being yoked to Jesus. Living in the Cycle of Grace. Ahh.