Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jeremiah 6 - The Consequences of Closed Ears

LINK: Jeremiah 6

BACKGROUND

This chapter speaks of the impending destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon. They invaded Judah three times until the nation and the temple were completely destroyed (2 Kings 24:25). The extent of the Babylonian destruction was recorded by Nehemiah (1:3; 2:3, 11-17). With all this prior warning, Judah would not listen, their ears were closed (6:10, 19).

Aren't you getting tired of hearing about their stubbornness? 

REFLECTION
(written in 2009)

I'm reading this and seeing that so much of these judgments against Judah are present in our society today!

- The word of the Lord is offensive to them; they find no pleasure in it. (6:10)

God has some standards that are not politically correct right now. There was great opposition to Rick Warren praying at the Presidential Inauguration because of his biblical convictions about many issues.

- From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain . . . (6:13)

Our present economic turmoil is partly due to the rampant "greed for gain." Think of the many competitions on reality television that cause people to compromise their integrity and values for the almighty dollar.

- They are not ashamed of their conduct; they do not even know how to blush (6:15)

I picked up a book that I thought was going to be a nice story about a woman's 365 day cooking journey through Julia Child's classic, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, cookbook. 

Doesn't that sound innocent? I was amazed at all the foul language and disgusting topics she covered instead of the French recipes! I do not think this author "knows how to blush." My mother would have washed her mouth out with soap! I am sure this woman is just trying to sell her book to a public that probably likes food equated with sex and such. Maybe she is "greedy for gain" too. So sad to think that anyone would find this book appealing, but I think much of the world would not think twice about the language or disgusting topics covered. That makes me really sad.

I only made it to p.95 before I had to put the book down. The next day, I went back to the bookstore, told the lady who had sold it to me the day before why I was bringing it back, and got a full refund with a thank you. She was very appreciative that I let her know why. (Even though she is not allowed to tell people buying books that there are bad parts because she said she must "render unto Caesar [Borders], what is Caesar's [Borders]".) 

(2012 Update: Maybe that is why Borders went bankrupt . . . much like the Roman Empire fell! LOL!) 

The day after that, I got into a discussion with a woman at the AAA office about this book. She was so relieved to know that I did not like it either. She said, "I kept thinking I was a big prude!" 

I assured her that it was good that she felt that way because the book was quite disgusting. I told her that I had only gotten to p.95 and returned it for a full refund. She said, "Only p. 95! Oh, it gets much worse after p. 95, but I keep thinking I need to finish it." 

I gave her permission to put it down and even bring it back to the bookstore too! She was seriously considering it. 

(2012 Update: Every time I go into the AAA office, she thanks me for telling me to put down the book.) 

See Many Aspire, Few Attain excerpt below for something written in response to Jeremiah 6:16-19.

APPLICATION

Why did I just go into that rant about that book? Maybe it is that I feel like we should speak up more often about things that are just not right. Why do we let the world squeeze us so much? The woman felt "bad" that she did not like a very crass and horrible book. Isn't there something wrong with that picture? If more of us said, "I do not like this crass book," maybe they would quit publishing them.

So, do not be afraid to respectfully stand up against things that really should make us blush (6:15)!

PRAYER

Start your prayer off with a Lectio Divina in Jeremiah 6:16:

Thus says the Lord,
“Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths,
Where the good way is, and walk in it;
And you will find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’

Lord, Show us the ancient paths and where the good way is that You have marked out for us. Help us to walk in that ancient and good way so that we might find rest for our souls (Jeremiah 6:16). In Jesus' name, Amen.

MANY ASPIRE, FEW ATTAIN
12. Stay content

“Thus saith the Lord, ‘Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.’ But they said, “We will not walk therein.’ Also I set watchmen over you, saying, “Hearken to the sound of the trumpet.’ But they said, ‘We will not hearken.’ Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them. Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon the people even the fruit of their thought, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it” (Jer. 6:16-19).

Some people just want to be different - they don’t want to be pushed into any particular mold. So they vacillate from one place to the next. For example, many people are excited about The Navigators or other Christian organizations when they first become involved. It’s new; it’s exciting; it’s fresh. But then they become critical of the clichés and the traditions of the group. They like feeling unique and different. 
When people seek change just for the sake of change, all they end up doing is exchanging one type of conformity for another. While God has created everyone individually and uniquely, He has also set standards and given Christians instruction on how to be the kind of people who will survive the battle and be able to move forward in Christ. The greatest tool He has given us in this endeavor is His Word. It doesn’t change with the seasons or conform to new thought patterns. It is applicable for all of time.

2 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Reminds me of that passage that speaks of people calling good, bad, and bad, good. If I weren't feeling lazy right now I'd find it!

It is amazing how timeless God's words are. How true for today.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Show us the ancient paths, Lord. They are tried and true, not old and out of date.