Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Job 33 - The Problem of Pain

LINK: Job 33

BACKGROUND

In this chapter, Elihu introduces a new insight into the purpose of suffering not covered by the other three friends. Elihu's main thesis is that God permits suffering to keep people from sinning and going to the "pit" (used five times in this chapter).

Elihu does quite a bit of quoting of what Job has already said, but he does not get it exactly right because he says that Job has said that he was sinless. Job never claimed to be perfect (9:20-21). He just claimed to have not sinned to bring on the punishment that he was now receiving. He was blameless in this particular situation.

Elihu was correct in quoting Job as saying that God is unjust (13:24, 27; 16:9; 19:7, 11). Job did ask God why and particularly why God had not given him his "day in court."

REFLECTION

In The Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis said: 

“God whispers to us in our pleasures, 
speaks in our conscience, 
but shouts in our pains: 
it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

British Congregational theologian P.T. Forsyth said:

“It is a greater thing to pray for 
pain’s conversion than its removal.”

Pain can be positive.

APPLICATION

Pray to embrace the pain you are now experiencing in your life. Let God use it to humble you and bring you to a place of total dependence on Him.

My application is to put The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis on my reading list. I have never read it before even though I am looking at it sitting on my bookshelf as I type this entry! 

2012 Update: I have still not read it, and it is three years later! I just finished an eight-year reading goal. So, I will do it in 2012!

2014: I started it, and I did not finish it due to other pressing things going on. But I have read several of his other books! I need an audiobook. So I will put it back on my player! :) 

2023: This is embarrassing! I have still not read it!

PRAYER

Lord, we accept the pain and sorrow and want You to use it for Your glory. Help us to depend on You Lord. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

3 comments:

Tea42 said...

Carol,
the last two days of reading reminded me of these verses in Philippians:
Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Php 3:8-11 (NKJV)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks Dorothy!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I reserved the audiobook from the library. It is only four hours long! With the sunshine, I walk more and listen to books more.