Thursday, September 22, 2011

Psalm 3 & 4 - Rejoicing in God's Protection and Peace

LINK: Psalm 3 & 4

BACKGROUND


These Psalms were possibly written at the same time. We know that Psalm 3 was written by David, and it relates to the situation in 2 Samuel 15:13 - 17:22 when David's son, Absalom, conspired to overthrow him, and he had to flee from Jerusalem.


Some scholars think both Psalms were written at the same time because of parallel references to:

Glory  
But you are a shield around me, O LORD;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head (3:3).

How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame (4:2)? 
and 
Sleep 
I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the LORD sustains me (3:5).

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety (4:8)
REFLECTION

Throughout the years, I have let those words:


I will lie down and sleep in peace
for You alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety. . . 

wash over me like a soothing balm during sleepless nights rife with anxiety and fear. Tonight, I pulled out an old Bible and read what I wrote next to this verse many years ago:


" Even in distress away from 
the visible evidence of God's goodness."

In addition, dates from 1985 to 1994 were scrawled next to this verse that was no doubt added in the wee hours of the morning when sleep had eluded me because of anxiety once again. I was an insomniac for many years. In fact, there was one stretch of time before my nervous breakdown in 1983 when I had not slept peacefully through the night for 4 1/2 years!


At that time, I could not see God's goodness on the surface, but I tenaciously claimed this verse as my own with eyes of faith to believe that He was good despite my circumstances. I knew that He would keep me safe through the storms just as he kept David safe from distresses far worse than my own. I knew that God cared even though His goodness was not evident on the surface.


I have seen great growth in this area of my life in recent years. In 2001, I experienced one of the worst distresses of my life, but I slept like a baby in the arms of God every night! In the midst of it, I realized that it was a "moment that had been gaining on me, secretly, like a piece of music played while I slept" 
(from Lief Enger's Peace Like a River). This Psalm that had once been a "strange song" to me, was one I "knew by heart"That was a lovely moment of transformation.

APPLICATION


Perhaps you deal regularly with anxiety and fear. Let me encourage you to "cast your anxiety upon Him because He cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7). Here is a little exercise that I do periodically that I adapted from a class by my friend, Beth Lambright, on "The Devoted Life."


There is something about physically casting your anxieties on the Lord that cements them. While George and I were dating, I went to a river with one of his fishing rods and did one cast for every single thing that was causing me anxiety in our relationship. There were MANY casts made that day including one about whether he was EVER going to ask me to marry him. And that cast was the only one that hooked me a fish! Three months later we were engaged.


You do not have to use a fishing rod, but you can take rocks and "cast" them into a river or a lake or write your burdens down on pieces of paper and burn them one by one in a fire or crinkle them up and throw them in a trash can. However you decide to do it, start casting and make it a regular habit!

Another practice I heartily suggest is Immanuel Journaling. Sometimes we cast our anxieties before we have really fully met and interacted with God. He wants to speak to you about those anxieties and fears. 

In this type of journaling, you start with "interactive gratitude" and then go to your anxiety and/or fear and talk to God about it using a process called "thought rhyming." This is a wonderful practice that I have found very helpful in my own life, and many of the people I have in spiritual direction have found it helpful too. One young mom told me that her ten-year-old child did this journaling during a children's class while she was attending a prayer conference. Way to start them young!  

Sleep in peace, my friends. The Lord cares for you and is with you to keep you safe from all harm!


PRAYER


Lord, thank You that You care for us and love us deeply. Sometimes our circumstances overwhelm us to where we are even robbed of sleep. Draw us to Yourself during that time. Teach us to "lie down and sleep in peace" knowing that You are a God who "makes us dwell in safety" and security because of Your great love for us. Teach us to daily "cast our cares upon You because You care for us." We love You LORD and thank You for Your peace and protection. We ask this all in the name of the Prince of Peace, Jesus. Amen.

6 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Interesting what you say about the two Psalms being written at the same time. I've been meditating on them this a.m., working on a poem which may or may not come and I had just decided to use ideas from each of them when I came here and read your post. I think they really do complement each other.

I am not a huge worrier, but there are moments or times when I do. Like right now, dd is getting ready to leave for a semester abroad and I'm trying pray about it rather than worry. Every time a little tinge of worry comes into my heart I pray and cast in on the Lord.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

No pressure, but I would love to have you just go ahead and post the poem on the main part of the blog since I am not sure that everyone always reads the comments section! If nothing comes, that is fine too, but I so enjoy reading them, and I know others would too!

Katrina said...

The sleep part if these psalms reminded me Proverbs 3. It says to seek God's wisdom, keep it, live it. And verse 24 says, "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

It's the Lord who provides peace, comfort, security. If I had to rely on myself, I would be filled with anxiety! But because of who God is and His promises to me, I can rest.

In these psalms, David is very confident that God is going to protect him from the enemy. God is his shield. He knows that the Lord has set him apart and that He hears his cry for help. He seems to be reminding himself in 4:4-5 to be calm, act righteously, and trust in the Lord.

Susanne Barrett said...

Over the past six years, I have clung to the closing verse of Psalm 4 when sleep eludes me because of pain. And remembering that God is "the lifter of my head" encouraged me greatly when I COULDN'T lift my own head because of weakness and pain. So I've always clung to these two Psalms as a reminder that He cares.

It's wonderful that you mentioned 1 Peter 5:7; right after I post this, I am going to sit down and inductively study 1 Peter 5:1-7 for my Bible study tomorrow morning at Lake Murray (Lady Bereans). In the past, I have cast pine cones over the back fence to symbolize casting my cares on Him. The kids wanted to help, so they cast a few, but it was a wonderfully freeing feeling to put a name on a "care" and then cast it into "God's territory, or as my friend Noko says, "into God's to-do box."

I have tended to worry. Lately it's been finances, and I've been careful to pray through the Psalms morning and night as part of my prayers. I am doing better with the unknown, but it's still scary. I keep telling myself: "God has His best in mind for our family. Whatever it is -- even if it means losing the house -- it will be His best for us." Now with this possible new job on the horizon, I'm very much at peace. And if this job isn't the answer, then something else will be. So I am at peace, trusting Him with our future. :)

Anonymous said...

Psalm 3 takes me back to Abram and reminds me that God is in control. I don't have to keep score with my enemies. God is in control. In verse 3: The Lord is the one who will protect and honor me not man. And verses 5 and 6 say I can rest peacefully and not be afraid even though I am surrounded by enemies. Victory comes from the Lord, just as it did for Abram!

What great advice in Psalm 4 about not letting anger gain control of you and thinking about it over night and remaining silent. How often we say things we regret! Then it says to trust in the Lord. I think that often my anger is a direct result of lack of trust in God and if I will just be quiet and wait on Him everything will work out fine. Our perfect peace is in the Lord. If only I could remember that!
Connie

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I have added Immanuel Journaling as a possible application. This is new since I first wrote this blog, and it is SO helpful!