Friday, September 16, 2011

Psalm 20 & 21 - Faith-filled Prayers and Praise

LINK: Psalm 20Psalm 21

BACKGROUND

Both these psalms are closely related in structure and content. According to Deuteronomy 20-21, officers and soldiers were to dedicate themselves to the Lord before battle. Psalm 20 is David's faith-filled intercessory prayer of dedication before battle. Throughout the psalm, David prays, and the people respond in unison (20:5, 7-9).

Psalm 21 is probably a praise song of deliverance after the victories that were prayed for in Psalm 20. Psalm 21:13 is the vow of the people to sing and praise the Lord.

I put these psalms here because of David's victory over the Ammonites and the fact that the Ammonite king's golden crown was placed on David's head (2 Samuel 12:30) like the golden crown mentioned in Psalm 21:3.

REFLECTION

David believed God for the battle and praised God for His answers. These are two things I often neglect to do. I want to have faith-filled intercession like David. I also want to remember to praise Him for every victory along the way.  

How about you?


PRAYER

Lord, I confess my unbelief about what You can do. You will accomplish what concerns You. I praise You ahead of time for what You will do. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Battling in prayer for a marriage today.