Friday, September 30, 2011

Psalm 27 - The Key to Confidence in Crisis is Communion

LINK: Psalm 27

BACKGROUND 

I gave a message on this psalm with many Hebrew word definitions back in 2000. Here is a PDF of the handout I made for the talk: 
Psalm 27 - The Key to Confidence in Crisis is Communion (click on this link)
Enjoy! I so loved preparing this talk, and I also enjoyed learning how to scan the handout in a PDF since it is on a very old computer, and cannot be forwarded.

REFLECTION 

Psalm 27 is my favorite Psalm. It means so much to me personally. Why? I'm glad you asked. 

First of all, it is my birthday Psalm. (I was born on July 27.)

Secondly, it contains my life verse: 

One thing I have asked of the LORD that I shall seek: 
That I dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, 
to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to meditate in His temple.  
(Psalm 27:4)

For me, this is the ONE THING that is needful in our walk with God. Jesus told Martha this when Mary was sitting at His feet instead of helping with the hospitality:
But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42)
One last reason this is my favorite psalm: For many years, I was a big scaredy cat (this means "an unduly fearful person"). By nature, I fear what man can do to me (27:1). I know it will be impossible for those of you who know me in person to believe, but I used to be pretty afraid of people. My "bubbly" and "vivacious" personality really used to be because I was so afraid in social situations. I so feared rejection that, out of nerves, I would work really hard to have them like me. Through much healing, this does not happen anymore!  

What is left may look pretty similar to what others saw on the outside (I am still pretty bubbly), but it comes from a different place now: true joy from beholding God's beauty. I just dwell in Him among people, not fearing them but loving them, and it has made all the difference! WOOHOO!

I had an opportunity to apply this psalm on Monday. For the past two years, I have dreaded going to a big furniture giveaway to the international students that our town puts on every year. I would be stressed all day, but I was not stressed at all this last Monday. God had already spoken to me on Sunday about keeping my focus on Him and doing the "ONE THING" that was needful in the midst of all the people. The worry and anxiety were dispelled, and I had the best time I have ever had!!!  God is so good. :)

APPLICATION 

Do you want to become a person of confidence? Become a person of communion! What is your commitment to communion? I have two women who hold me accountable daily in key areas of my life, and this is one of them! Who will hold you accountable?

Here is another application from the Daily Walk, June 5, 2008, that I really liked:
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being low and 10 high, how would you rate your "fear quotient" on the following? 
____ Fear of standing before a large group 
____ Fear of snakes or lizards 
____ Fear of the dark 
____ Fear of the future  
Fear, like acid, can destroy even the strongest resolve That which terrifies you, controls you. But it needn't be that way! "God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline" (2 Timothy 1:7). 
David knew what it was to be afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the enemies encamped all around him. But he learned the secret of overcoming those fears: not denying that he had fears, but relying on Someone bigger than they were. In Psalm 27:1, you'll discover what David found: the Lord is the cure for what intimidates you! He has light to dispel your darkness and strength to replace your weakness. And you, like David, have the privilege of drawing upon those resources today. 
David took God at His word (27:5). Will you?
2023 Update: After many years and COVID, the furniture giveaway is no more. So sad. But my fear is also no more. Also, someone was giving a workshop on this Psalm at a major prayer conference last month, and she asked me for my input, and I sent her my PDF. 
 
PRAYER

This a lovely psalm to pray through and personalize! When I disciple women, this is usually the first one I pray through with them to teach them how to do it! In 34 years of discipling women, we have been blessed every single time! 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I asked the question, "What is your commitment to communion?" I am leading a contemplative cohort tomorrow morning, and I think that will be my main questions!