Wednesday, September 21, 2011

2 Samuel 15 - Absalom's Rebellion

LINK: 2 Samuel 15

BACKGROUND

Absalom began the rebellion against his father by standing at the gate and promising, those with complaints, better justice than David could give. Thus he "stole away the hearts of the men of Israel" (15:6).  Sounds like Absalom would have made a great modern day politician!

After four years (The Greek Septuagint says "4" and the Hebrew says "40" but this may have referred back to David's anointing in Bethlehem), under the ruse of going to pay a vow, Absalom went to Hebron and claimed his rulership with Ahithophel, David's counselor (and Bathsheba's grandfather), on his side along with many others.

When David heard of Absalom's conspiracy, he fled Jerusalem to the Mount of Olives followed by his loyal men, people from the city, and the Levites with the Ark of the Covenant. But David sent the priests and Ark back to its sanctuary knowing that if it was God's will for him to be king, he would return to it.

In despair, on the Mount of Olives, David prayed and sent Hushai back to Absalom as a spy and to frustrate Ahithophel's counsel.

REFLECTION 

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

David's prayer on the Mount of Olives strengthened him and girded him for action and eventual return to his kingship. About 1000 years later, Jesus' prayer on the same Mount of Olives on the night of His betrayal would help Him gather strength from His Father to face the road to the cross and eventual exaltation as King of kings!

We too can find strength in our time of need just as David and Jesus did. Pray, dear friends, PRAY!


APPLICATION /PRAYER

Psalm 3 was written by David when he fled from Absalom. Meditate on it and discover how David dealt with difficulties. I will have a post on it and Psalm 4 tomorrow!

Morning Prayer of Trust in God

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 O LORD, how my adversaries have increased!
Many are rising up against me.

2 Many are saying of my soul,

"There is no deliverance for him in God." Selah.

3 But You, O LORD, are a shield about me,
My glory, and the One who lifts my head.

4 I was crying to the LORD with my voice,
And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah.

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.

6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me round about.

7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God!
For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek;
You have shattered the teeth of the wicked.

8 Salvation belongs to the LORD;
Post a Comment