Wednesday, September 21, 2011

2 Samuel 15 - Absalom's Rebellion

LINK: 2 Samuel 15

BACKGROUND
Absalom began the rebellion against his father by standing at the gate and promising, those with complaints, better justice than David could give. Thus he "stole away the hearts of the men of Israel" (15:6) Sounds like Absalom would have made a great modern-day politician!

After four years (The Greek Septuagint says "4" and the Hebrew says "40" but this may have referred back to David's anointing in Bethlehem), under the ruse of going to pay a vow, Absalom went to Hebron and claimed his rulership with Ahithophel, David's counselor (and Bathsheba's grandfather), on his side along with many others.

When David heard of Absalom's conspiracy, he fled Jerusalem to the Mount of Olives followed by his loyal men, people from the city, and the Levites with the Ark of the Covenant. But David sent the priests and Ark back to its sanctuary knowing that if it was God's will for him to be king, he would return to it.

In despair, on the Mount of Olives, David prayed and sent Hushai back to Absalom as a spy and to frustrate Ahithophel's counsel.

REFLECTION 

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

David's prayer on the Mount of Olives strengthened him and girded him for action and eventual return to his kingship. About 1000 years later, Jesus' prayer on the same Mount of Olives on the night of His betrayal would help Him gather strength from His Father to face the road to the cross and eventual exaltation as King of kings!

We too can find strength in our time of need just as David and Jesus did. Pray, dear friends, PRAY!


APPLICATION /PRAYER

Psalm 3 was written by David when he fled from Absalom. Meditate on it and discover how David dealt with difficulties. I will have a post on it and Psalm 4 tomorrow!

Morning Prayer of Trust in God

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 O LORD, how my adversaries have increased!
Many are rising up against me.

2 Many are saying of my soul,

"There is no deliverance for him in God." Selah.

3 But You, O LORD, are a shield about me,
My glory, and the One who lifts my head.

4 I was crying to the LORD with my voice,
And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah.

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.

6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me round about.

7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God!
For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek;
You have shattered the teeth of the wicked.

8 Salvation belongs to the LORD;

I have linked a way of meditating on these verses above, but here is a step-by-step way of meditating called Lectio Divina:

Recenter and Relax Yourself

Recenter your scattered senses on the presence of GodStill your mind, heart, and body. Let go of all other distractions. Relax in His presence and attend to Him.

Read the Passage (Lectio)

Read slowly and attentively, followed by a time of silence.

Reflect on it (Meditatio)

Listen for a word or phrase that shimmers for you. In what way does it touch your life? Let thoughts surface that connect the text to your life.

Respond to God (Oratio)

Converse with God about the word or phrase and what it has triggered. Think of God in the second person (“you”). Tell God what you are thinking and feeling. Be honest! What do you want of God? What help do you need?

Rest in Him (Contemplatio)

Rest in God’s presence. Be silent and without words. Move on when you are ready. (Note: Praying Scripture has nothing to do with “getting through” passages; it has everything to do with letting the meaning sink into your life.)

Take a word or phrase with you and repeat it as you perform your daily activities.

Take time to listen to God’s voice and journal something so you will remember the encounter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Carol! Your work is much appreciated!

Heather :)

Anonymous said...

Carol,
How funny! I was thinking the exact thing about Absalom being a politician! "There is nothing new under the sun." (Ecc 1:9b)

Amen, sister. I feel that God is calling His people to pray, pray, & pray. (1 Thess 5:17)

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Hi BBC- I don't have email for anyone, so I am posting a request for prayer here. Carol, I hope this is okay. If you send me your email, I can forward you updates that way.

Becky's husband was in a motorcycle accident and is in ICU. He has broken both femurs, several ribs and a thumb. At this point, he has had one surgery to put a rod in his right leg and to amputate half of his left foot. The left leg was also dislocated and the dr is waiting for circulation to return before attempting surgery. There is also a possibility he will lose the entire left foot. He was out of state when the accident happened, so they are all away from the comfort of home. Please lift them up, as they will need the comfort of the Spirit.
Cherie (jctucker2@wildblue.net)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Ack, Cherie, I did not respond to this prayer request. I know this was a LONG time ago, but I heard about it through other means. I do hope he is doing ok now. Carol

Carol Ann Weaver said...

The verses that shimmered for me were "You, oh Lord, are a shield about me and my glory and the lifter of my head. You truly have lifted my head. Thank you for your protection and shield.