Sunday, April 3, 2011

Leviticus 26 & 27 - Keeping our Commitments to God

LINK: Leviticus 26-27 (Read over the next two days)

BACKGROUND


The things in these chapters are pretty straightforward. Leviticus 26 is about the blessings of obedience and warnings against disobedience.


REFLECTION

If you made it through Leviticus, give yourself a high five! If you recall, I had many false starts of reading through the Bible because of Leviticus. I just did not get its significance. I hope these posts helped you see the significance.

If you did not get through, please do not be discouraged! Just keep reading from where you last left off. If these blog posts help you, that is great! If they do not, just keep reading without them. Remember: it took me five years to read through the Bible the first time. I just kept putting a bookmark in it and would continue it when I could!  

Just Remember:


God's grace is at a slow pace!

I have been through Leviticus many times, and I enjoyed it this time the BEST of all. I think having to think through a post five days a week has really helped me digest it and make it practical for my everyday life. I have been making some very good and real changes as a result. I am grateful for that.

I think it also helped to buy that model of the tabernacle! It is still sitting on my coffee table, and I have looked at it every day as I have my quiet time. It causes me to see how CENTRAL worship was to the people of Israel, and how central it needs to be in my life. The tabernacle also reminds me that Jesus made a way for us into the holy of holies. The veil was torn in two! I look at it and marvel. He is the way, the truth, and the life!

When I originally wrote this post in 2008, I was grieving the loss of a friend whom I had known since my sophomore year of college. We were both athletes at OSU together, on Navigator staff together, and then he married my twin, Mary Beth, who was grieving the loss of her Superman (his nickname). I rejoice that Jesus made a way for Bruce!

APPLICATION

To cement Leviticus in my mind, I am going to do the following:
  • Give each chapter a title
  • Make an outline of the book
  • State a main theme
  • Continue with my "Journal of God" that I started in Genesis
  • Summarize what I am taking away from the book by way of application to my life.

You might like to try the same!

What is one thing you learned from the book?

PRAYER

God, thank You for teaching us more about Your holiness through the reading of this book. Help us to reflect on the lessons we have learned from it and respond to You in obedience. Speak to us, Lord, about unholiness in our lives. Make us holy for You are holy. We love You, Lord, and thank You that You have made a way for us into Your very presence through Jesus Christ, our Lord. And it is in His name we pray. Amen.
Post a Comment