Sunday, April 10, 2011

Numbers 7 - Offerings from the Leaders

LINK: Numbers 7

BACKGROUND 

In less than three weeks, the Israelites would be leaving Sinai to begin their journey to the Promised Land. Before they left, the leaders dedicated consecrated offerings to the Lord in the Tabernacle for its use and maintenance.

After all of this, Moses entered the Tabernacle and heard the voice of God speaking to him from above the mercy seat between the two cherubim. How cool is that?

REFLECTION 

We have free access into the holy of holies. God is there, and He does speak. How long has it been since you listened to Him? I am going to take some time out of my busy day to do just that! I need to hear from Him on a very important matter! I will take pen and paper and write down what He tells me and follow through on any directions He gives. 

APPLICATION

One book that has been very helpful for me in listening and obeying His voice is called God Guides. It is part of the reading in the curriculum for our Kingdom Community. We did not start reading it until six months into our time, but I am going to put it as the first thing that we read next time around! I gave it to a friend of mine about a month ago, and she just ordered 100 of them to give away! 

Every person of faith needs to read this little book! If you do not already have a faith tradition that listens and obeys, this will challenge you to do so. God makes everything very simple. It will be life-changing for some and a good reminder for others who may need to remember that we just need to do what God tells us to do. "Anyone can have the victory if he 'listens' and obeys" (p. 1). 

She advocates a daily "quiet time" where we are still and listen to what God has for us, write it down, and then do it. It is so simple that you might think it is a no-brainer, but I guarantee that most of us do not do this. I love how she spreads this to everyone she meets! She does not tell people what they should do, but she lets God tell them. And I say a hearty, "Amen!" to that! This is a gem. 

You can get it at Amazon or better at www.god-guides.com.

(If you are unfamiliar with hearing God's voice or even do not believe that you can, I recommend Hearing God by Dallas Willard. He does an excellent job of giving a biblical basis for hearing God. A more elementary one but very readable is How to Hear God: A Simple Guide for Normal People by Pete Greig.)

PRAYER

Lord, we present our bodies as living and holy sacrifices, acceptable to You, because this is our spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1). We present ourselves to You and want to hear Your orders for the day. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Oh, God Guides is such a pivotal book! I still think it is a very crucial book to read. I think a lot of people don't believe you can hear God's voice today. I am going to update this post to talk about books that will help understand that He does speak today!!