Friday, April 8, 2011

Numbers 4 - Role of the Levites

LINK: Numbers 4

BACKGROUND

This chapter outlines the procedure for moving the Tabernacle with every man between 30 and 50 years of age having a specific duty.  The instruction were to be carried out precisely because their life was at stake (4:20)!

REFLECTION 

Part of ministering at the Tabernacle included singing. Here are some of the Levite descendants who would go on to make great music and be mentioned in many Psalms:
The “sons of Korah,” who formed a leading part of the Kohathite singers (2 Chr. 20:19), were intrusted with the arranging and singing of Ps. 42, 44–49, 84, 85, 87, and 88.
 Asaph was a Levite and one of the leaders of David’s choir (1 Chr. 6:39). Psalms 50 and 73–83 inclusive are attributed to him. He is mentioned along with David as a skilled in music, and a “seer” (2 Chr. 29:30). The “sons of Asaph,” mentioned in 1 Chr. 25:1, 2 Chr. 20:14, and Ezra 2:41, were his descendants, or more probably a class of poets or singers who recognized him as their master. Psalms 39, 62, and 77 are addressed to Jeduthun, to be sung after his manner or in his choir.  Easton, M. (1996, c1897). Easton's Bible Dictionary.
APPLICATION 

Are you "set apart" to minister to the Lord? Where is your place in His plan? Pray about it.

How much does your worship consist in singing to the Lord? I am a singer, but I must admit, I do not do it on my own as much as I would like. I always enjoy it but forget to include it as a daily practice. I think that will be my application today! 

PRAYER

Lord, thank You that You have a purpose and a plan for each of us. You set us apart to glorify You. Help us to step into Your story! In Jesus' name, Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Such a good reminder to SING to the Lord! Today I will sing. It is 15 years later, and it is Sunday. I always enjoy the worship music at my church. I know if I helped with worship, I would sing those songs we practiced every day. Lord, if you want me to do that, would you open the door for me?