Saturday, April 9, 2011

Numbers 5 & 6 - Purity in the Camp and The Nazirite Vow

LINK: Numbers 5 & 6

BACKGROUND

In these chapters we see further preparation for holiness through removal of those considered defiled, restitution for offenses (we talked about that in Leviticus 6), and the mark of a more obedient, closer walk with God through the Nazirite vow.

In Numbers 5, I was curious about the "jealousy offering" in connection with the offering for marital infidelity. It is my understanding that this was not all bad for women in that innocent women were protected from jealous husbands who had no grounds for their suspicion. This also shows that God thought faithfulness in marriage was very important.

In Numbers 6, the Nazirite vow could be taken by people who wanted to commit themselves totally to God by consecration and separation to Him. It could be taken by either a male or female. There were many prohibitions connected with it. The two most notable ones were abstaining from fermented beverages and not cutting your hair which was in direct opposition to some pagan rituals that required shaved heads. We will hear quite a bit about the hair component of this vow when we read about the life of Samson in Judges 13-16.

Numbers 6 concludes with God's blessings on the sons of Israel through Aaron now called the "Barocha." Michael Card has written a lovely melody for this blessing. He encourages us to bless our families and fellowships with these words often!

REFLECTION

I love that the Nazirite vow was for both men and women! How often does that happen in the Old Testament? Usually it is just the men who get in on all the action.

As I have prayed in this chapter, I think that I want to be like a Nazirite in my heart. I do not have to worry about all the external trappings associated with this vow because I am a New Testament believer, but I can be a Nazirite in being totally consecrated to God through the decisions I make every day. I can think of one particular area where I can make deeper commitments to God. God had already started speaking to me about it at our women's retreat last weekend, and today's meditation just confirmed that leading. Pray I might follow through!

APPLICATION

Where are there areas in your life where you can make deeper commitments to Him? We have opportunities every day in the way we use our time, spend our money, love our neighbor, etc. Have you made a "Nazirite" vow in your heart?

PRAYER

Lord, teach us every day how we might be more deeply committed to You through our everyday decisions. May we do it according to the power of Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Thanks for your words of application. That's the direction I was going with this passage, but my thinking needed some clarification, and you verbalized it clearly. Thanks for helping out my brain! :) I know I need to be more consecrated to God.

Dancingirl said...

When you two say you want to be more consecrated to God or make deeper commitments to Him, what does that look like? Can you use different words to explain or give an example?

Carol, love the song by M. Card! I can hear it in my mind right now! And I think it's cool that women could be Nazarites, too!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Good question, Becky! Let's address it in a post. I already have done the post for today, but I will see if it fits in tomorrow's post! If it doesn't, I will come back and answer it here.

Katrina said...

Becky, when I say I need to be more consecrated to God, I usually mean that I realize there are areas of my life where I am doing what *I* want instead of giving it over to God's control. For example, in the area of finances, sometimes I get stubborn and buy something I want just because *I want* it without consideration for how the purchase will impact the budget or others. More than anything, it's an attitude of "I'm going to do what *I* want and nobody's going to stop me!" That's an indication to me that I'm not fully dedicated (surrendered) to God. Make sense?

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I do hope I answered Becky 15 years ago! LOL! Consecrated to God - What I am thinking is a daily, moment-by-moment surrender. I think of this prayer from the Exercises:

Suscipe (means “receive” in Latin and is pronounced, "soos-chi-pay.”)
St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.