Monday, April 11, 2011

Numbers 8 & 9 - Consecration of the Levites, Passover, and the Guidance Cloud

LINK: Numbers 8 & 9

BACKGROUND

In Leviticus 8, the Lord set apart the priests. In Numbers 8, he set apart their assistants, the Levites, for their service with grain and sin offerings and a laying on of hands by the community at the front of the tabernacle. Then, they were "waved" before the Lord as the ones who would serve in this sacred service. Their tenure of service was 25 years (from 25-50 years old).

Numbers 9 includes additional instructions for the Passover and the strict observances of it. It concludes by talking about the cloud that guided the Israelites. When the cloud settled, they camped. When the cloud lifted, they moved on.

REFLECTION

Wouldn't you just love a cloud to guide you in your daily decisions like the Israelites? God would say "Move!" and I would move.

We do have a something even better now: the HOLY SPIRIT! Jesus said:
But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. (John 16:13)
So often, we do not trust God enough to really believe that He will lead and guide us through His Spirit. His guidance may not be as ostentatious as a cloud of fire or an audible voice; but His guidance is there just the same. Sometimes, we just do not want to stop and be still and really take the time to listen. Read my post from yesterday for a great book in helping you do that!

John Wesley said,"God generally guides me by presenting reasons to my mind for acting in a certain way."

How does He usually guide you?

APPLICATION - Written in 2008

I told a friend just this morning that I needed to make a decision about how I will be allocating my time in the coming year. She and I both agreed that I probably shouldn't make a decision this week because I am exhausted from the events surrounding my friend Bruce's passing. 

So, my first priority for this weekend is to . . . 

  • Rest in the Lord. Then, I want to 
  • Dedicate my time and schedule to the Lord. Then, I want to really 
  • Listen to Him for guidance. 

I am confident that He will speak directly to my situation.

Is there a decision that you are facing? Do you need to rest, dedicate, and listen to what He would have you do? How confident are you that He will speak?

PRAYER


Here are the words to a song by Michael Card that speak of God's guidance and presence through "Stillness and Simplicity." Read it as a prayer to God.

Colossians 3:15

In stillness and simplicity
In the silence of the heart I see
The mystery of eternity
Who lives inside of me

In stillness and simplicity
I hear the Spirit's silent plea
That You, oh Lord, are close to me
In stillness and simplicity

You're the Word Who must be heard
By those who listen quietly
Is the reason we're not still
To hear You speak because
We don't believe You will

In stillness and simplicity
I lose myself in finding Thee
Oh Lord, You mean so much to me
In stillness and simplicity

So, seek the One who dwells in you
The kingdom that within is true
That innermost reality
In stillness and simplicity
Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just wanted to let you all know that I'm here. I've been reading my Bible every day, Praise God! In my many other attempts to read the whole Bible I've never made it out of Genesis and look at me now! I can't believe how much I'm learning by reading the Bible straight through and considering the context of each verse. It has truly been a blessing in my life!

I don't always have time to comment, but I'm reading the commentary. Thanks to those that are putting so much work into this (especially you,Carol! :) )

Peace,
Heather

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Heather! My long lost friend. :) So good to hear from you and that you are still plugging along. I am so glad that this is blessing your life.

I am going to go and listen to the first part of Numbers on my DVD while I workout today. :) I'm loving this accountability.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

It is so hard to believe that Bruce's died 15 years ago. Reading this made me remember what an exhausting time that really was. Praying for his family today.

Once again, I am making decisions. When it rains, it pours. I have so many GOOD options about ministry in the future, and it is truly a decision between good, better, and best!

I have learned more about making good decisions since doing the Ignatian Exercises. That has been really helpful for me.