Thursday, February 23, 2012

Psalm 29 & 30 - Worship and Dedication

LINK: Psalm 29 & 30

BACKGROUND

Psalm 29

The Hebrew word for ascribe (NASB) or give (NIV) "emphasizes the notion of presenting or setting an object or person somewhere." This is a worshipful Psalm!

The cedars of Lebanon (Psalm 29:5) were giant trees that could grow as high as 120 feet and 30 feet around. God's voice is VERY powerful! 

Psalm 30

This is a song at the dedication of the house written by David. It is believed that the most probable event connected to this psalm is in 1 Chronicles 21:1-22:6 where David is preparing to build the temple at Araunah's threshing floor. Before this, David had felt secure in his wealth and power and numbered the Israelites. This displeased God, and He sent a great plague to discipline David. This accounts for why David said, "O LORD my God, I cried to you for help and you healed me." This Psalm is a response of praise from David celebrating His deliverance.

Historically, this psalm is chanted at Hanukkah which is a feast that commemorates the rededication of the temple after the soldiers of Antiochus Epiphanes desecrated it by slaughtering a pig in it and forcing the Jews to eat it. When the men refused, the soldiers cut off the men's hands, feet, and tongues, then scalped the men and burned them alive on the altar of the Lord. This occurred in 165 B.C.

REFLECTION

For His anger is but for a moment, 
His favor is for a lifetime; 
Weeping may last for the night, 
But a shout of joy {comes} in the morning. 
 Psalm 30:5

David's response of praise is a response to the Lord's discipline. I cannot tell you how many times I have clung to this verse when the Lord has disciplined me. Sometimes, even after I have confessed, it is hard for me to move on from the "squishiness" I feel about my sin. His discipline is a good "shot in the arm," and it just lasts for a moment.

We need to remember that He disciplines us for our good so that we may share in his holiness. He is a good Father who wants to discipline us so that we will grow to maturity (Hebrews 12:5-11).

One way I have moved on from the "squishiness" is to just go to bed! Things always look better in the morning because every day is a new beginning with the LORD if we "confess and press" on!

We can stand on this promise when we have a hard time receiving the LORD's forgiveness after we have been disciplined by Him:


If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins
 and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9


APPLICATION

Have you been disciplined by the LORD lately? Are you having a hard time really believing that He disciplines us for our good and that his discipline is for a moment but His favor for a lifetime? Meditate on Hebrews 12 and 1 John 1:9 and talk to the Lord about it.

I love confession in the context of Examen prayer because it starts out with a focus on thanksgiving and where we saw the Lord in our day. Then, wrapped in the "bubble wrap of God's love," we can confess where we did not allow God's presence and light into our day. Confession of sin is always a win-win!

PRAYER

Here is a verse from the song "The Beginning" by Michael Card. Each day is a new beginning with our LORD, Hallelujah!

CHORUS
The Beginning will make all things new
New Life belongs to Him
He hands us each new moment saying
My child, begin again
My child, begin again
You're free to start again

This very moment is filled with His power

That we might start anew
To break us away from the past and the future
He does what He must do

And so the Alpha brings to us this moment to commence
To live in the freedom of total forgiveness 
With reckless confidence
With reckless confidence

LORD, thank You for Your lifetime favor because of the blood of Christ. Help us NEVER to take that for granted. It is in His name we pray. Amen.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Every time the Lord disciplines me I am amazed again afterward. He has a gentle way of cutting to my heart. It sounds strange to say "gentle" and "cut to the heart" together, but that's the best way I can describe it. And my heart just breaks when he does that. Those heartbreaks change my heart and soften it. Then I am closer to God than I was before. God is so good! I am very thankful for his discipline in my life.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am going to go and have an Examen prayer time this morning! (They often recommend it for the evening, but I am much more alert in the morning - so doing it then mean I am more consistent at it.)