Tuesday, February 28, 2012

1 Chronicles 29 - David's Life Comes to a Close

LINK: 1 Chronicles 29

BACKGROUND 

Continuing with the theme of giving from 1 Chronicles 28, David gave to the temple from the spoils of battle and his personal wealth (The treasure from battle amounted to 3,750 tons of gold and 37,500 tons of silver, 22:14.). Then he encouraged others to give, and they gave "wholeheartedly" They made an offering "willingly," "with a whole heart," and "rejoiced greatly" (29:9). 

WOW! How often do you hear about that regarding giving? Actually, my pastor preached excellently on this passage once, and God just moved on so many people's hearts to give this way. It was a beautiful (and rare) sight to behold!

David's worshipful and humble prayer from 29:11-13 is a great one to memorize and pray through! 

With this, they made their sacrifices, Solomon was made king a second time, and David breathed his last. I am so sad to see him go. Thank You, God, for the example of David's life. 

REFLECTION

After all of his missteps, David certainly ended well! 
Compare the opening chapters of David's life with the closing ones, and you will come to a startling conclusion: David ended his life the same way he began it -- with humble confidence in God. In spite of his great and numerous accomplishments, he never let success go to his head. His final words to Solomon and the nation reflect the same wholehearted devotion to God that David first expressed as a youthful shepherd in the pasturelands of Judea. With the dream of his heart (building a temple) entrusted to his son, and the tokens of God's blessing all around him, David dies "at a good old age, having enjoyed long life, wealthy and honor. His son Solomon succeeded him as king" (29:28). (The Daily Walk, April 19/20, 2008)
David was not perfect, but none of us are. That is why I love studying his life!

APPLICATION 

While not billed as a leadership study, I did the study A Heart Like His by Beth Moore during a time of intense leadership challenge in the summer of 2000. I remember weeping when I got to the end of this study. I did not want to leave David and the lessons I had learned through his less-than-perfect life!

I heartily recommend this even if you are not in leadership (although I would venture to say that most of us wear some kind of leadership hat in our family, work, or ministry). 

PRAYER

I memorized 1 Chronicles 29:11-13 when I was in college (When the New American Standard Bible had "Thine", "Thou", "Thee", and "Thy"; making it sound even more majestic!). I pray it often because it is so packed with worship and wholehearted dedication to the Lord. Pray through it today! I have been walking around the house shouting it from the rooftops (my family is gone, by the way). 

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O Lord, and You exalt Yourself as head over all. Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and to strengthen everyone. Now therefore, our God, we thank You, and praise Your glorious name. (1 Chronicles 29:11-13)

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am off for my daily praise walk. I think I will start with this Psalm as I look at God's glorious creation.