Monday, February 27, 2012

1 Chronicles 28 - David's Final Words

LINK: 1 Chronicles 28

BACKGROUND

In his final words, David hands the leadership of the building of the temple over to his son, Solomon. We know that God had decided that Solomon would be the man to build it since he was a "man of peace" (22:9: It is so interesting that I just wrote about the "man of peace" from Luke 10 in the Gospel Harmony Book Club). 

The temple followed the pattern of the Tabernacle in a general way, but it was in elaborate building form. David refers to it as a "house of rest for the footstool of God" (28:2). That footstool of God (Psalm 99:5; 132:7) is the Ark of the Covenant, and "heaven is his throne of glory; the earth, and the most magnificent of temples that can be built upon it, are but his footstool" (Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible). 

This whole chapter is about wholehearted devotion to the Lord. This account does not mention the drama with Adonijah mentioned in the parallel account in 1 Kings 1-2 because the focus is the temple and God's plan for David and His descendants. God had promised to "establish His kingdom forever" and this would ultimately be fulfilled in Jesus!

David gives Solomon a solemn charge and specific instructions. He also tells him to "be strong and courageous" and "do not be afraid" because the Lord was behind this project and would provide everything (including the manpower) to see it to completion. 

REFLECTION

I memorized 1 Chronicles 28:9,10 many years ago. I have prayed it for myself, but now I pray it for my children. 
King David gave his son Solomon principles to guide him through life (see 1 Chronicles 28:9,10). These same ideas are ones that any Christian parent would want to present to a child: 
  1. Get to know God personally 
  2. Learn God's commands and discover what he wants you to do. 
  3. Worship God with wholehearted devotion. 
  4. Serve God with a willing mind. 
  5. Be faithful. 
  6. Don't become discouraged.  (Life Application Bible, p. 709)
 APPLICATION

Pray these things for yourself and, if applicable, for your kids. 

Knowing God personally is a day-to-day, 24/7/365 kind of life that is possible! I love being intentional about this! I wholeheartedly suggest a spiritual director or mentor. 

Here is a video of me being interviewed about this subject:


Here is my website explaining more about it: 


Eventually, you might like to know how to become a spiritual director. I will be leading new cohorts regularly. Contact me through my website. 

 PRAYER

Lord, I ask for those of us with children, that You would draw them to Yourself. I pray they would know You personally, know what Your commands are, and respond obediently to them, love and worship You wholeheartedly, serve You willingly, and persevere through every trial. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I added more information about spiritual direction. I had a woman who has done the Bible Book Club in the past ask me about where she could go for direction, and I saw her last week. She said, "I wish I had been doing this my whole life!"