Sunday, August 14, 2011

Psalm 31 - 2D David and An Always Good God

LINK: Psalm 31

BACKGROUND

David wrote this when he was "2D": despised and defamed. It is an exhortation to all of us to love the LORD and to be strong because the Lord is our protection even in the midst of other people's evil plans. David put his whole life into the LORD's hands during very difficult circumstances. We can too!

Scarlet Thread of Redemption

Jesus used the phrase "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:6) as He was dying on the cross. Thus indicating His total trust in God, the Father (Luke 23:46).

REFLECTION (Written in 2008)

I love this Psalm. It has been a "refuge" Psalm in difficult times for me throughout the years. In fact, I memorized it back in the early 80s because it helped me to keep my focus on Him even when I felt abandoned and rejected. I have marked it up in my Bible and claimed it over and over again throughout the years. These verses get to the heart of who God is:
How great is Your goodness,
Which You have stored up for those who fear You,
Which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You,
Before the sons of men!

You hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the conspiracies of man;
You keep them secretly in a shelter from the strife of tongues.

Blessed be the LORD,
For He has made marvelous His lovingkindness to me in a besieged city.

As for me, I said in my alarm, 'I am cut off from before Your eyes'; Nevertheless You heard the voice of my supplications When I cried to You" (19-22).

I have been in hopeless situations when I have felt the full weight of rejection (and even dislike) by others. In one particularly painful phase, I told a friend I felt like a "leper." There was gossip about me that was not true. It was pure and simple slander. It was a very lonely place to be. I felt hopeless and helpless. Yet, God had stored up goodness for me in the midst of that! He had kept the full benefits of His goodness secretly in a shelter from the strife of the tongues of slander that whirled around me. God has been so faithful in those times, and I look back at them as such precious times with God. God is ALWAYS 100% good.

I am grateful that I have not felt those feelings for quite a while, but I had to go back into an environment recently that brought back some of those "leper-like" feelings and memories, and where did I go? I went back to Psalm 31 and God refreshed my soul by reminding me of His goodness and faithfulness in the past!

The same morning I was feeling those feelings, Becky (who wrote most of the psalm posts in the first cycle of the Bible Book Club from 2008-2010) emailed to say that she could not do the post for this Psalm, but I knew I was supposed to write on it already!

I am convinced that God sometimes allows rejection in our life so that we will cling only to Him and His great GOODNESS that He has stored up for us as we commit our whole lives to Him and love Him. I can attest that God has "made marvelous His lovingkindness to me" as I have clung to Him.

APPLICATION

Are you feeling lonely or rejected? God is GOOD. Meditate on His goodness today by looking at the following verses:
Then Moses said, “I pray Thee, show me Thy glory!” And He said, “I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion.” (Exodus 33:19; see also Exodus 34:5-7) 
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. (Psalms 107:1)
Afterward the sons of Israel will return and seek the LORD their God and David their king; and they will come trembling to the LORD and to His goodness in the last days (Hosea 3:5). 
1 Kings 8:56
Joshua 21:45
Romans 2:4
There are so many directions you can go with a goodness of God study!

PRAYER

After meditating on Psalm 31 last night and thinking about the goodness of God this morning, wouldn't you know that this song would come on my iPod while exercising? God is so GOOD!

"Always" by Ginny Owens

I've heard it said
All the best things are free,
But it seems all good things have a price,
Your love is more
Than I deserve to receive,
And Your love wants no less than my life,
But as You lead me by the hand,
I've begun to understand

CHORUS
You are always good,
Always knowing,
Always loving, always;
And though I can't see clearly
Where we're going,
I know You're always good, always.

When I was a child,
I thought like a child,
And life seemed so simple to me,
Now I have grown,
And I've come to know,
That I live in endless mystery,
But as I search to find the truth,
I keep finding more of You

You are always good,
Always knowing,
Always loving, always-
And in my finest hour
Or my darkest moment,
I know You're good, always

TAG
So when my life is full of trouble,
Still my heart will know Your peace,
'Cause You're forever faithful,
Holding me throughout eternity
You are always (CHORUS)

Thank you, LORD, that you are always GOOD! Amen

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

You have put my feet in such a large place lately! You have stored up so many good things for us. Human intrigues and accusing tongues abound, but it is their problem. I have never regretted taking refuge in the Lord!