Sunday, August 21, 2011

Psalm 131 - A Weaned Child

LINK: Psalm 131 ( a very short reading but meant to be savored)

Since it is a short reading, you might want to meditate on it with Nathan Foster of Renovare. I highly recommend it:

Audio Retreat: Meditation on Psalm 131

BACKGROUND 

Here is another "Psalm of Ascent." If you forget what these are, read the Psalm 133 post HERE.

I placed this as the last Psalm of David's conflict with Saul. It smacks of final surrender to God's purposes. He is composed and quieted and rests. It is the period at the end of a long and weary battle with a fierce foe. 

REFLECTION 

I am one of those people who, by nature, would not have the description of "composed" attached to my name. :) My natural tendency is to freak out, but I do not do that as much anymore. I have had to learn to trust. I have had to learn to not get myself involved in matters "too difficult" for me. I used to have a "savior complex" when helping people.  Often I would get in too deep and have to cry, "UNCLE!"  I would do it in my own power thinking that I was the only one responsible for that person's growth, but even though it really seemed like unselfish caring, it was really more selfish ambition, hoping I would feel better about myself if I had success in helping someone, but "A mature believer leaves the clamor of proud ambition and rests in the Lord" (The Bible Knowledge Commentary). And, yes, a "savior complex" is a veiled form of "proud ambition." It sounds sweet and nice, but it is pride. I am not a savior, but Jesus is!

Psalm 131 is my relinquishing psalm when I am finally in that spot where I have given up my vain, self-sufficient efforts to fix things that are too big for me to handle. It is the point where I finally realize that He is God, and I am not. Pride is handed over to the parent, and I rest. My "great matter" is handled by a loving Father God. It is such a wonderful feeling when I can do that. Now, I pray before I involve myself in difficult matters to see it He wants me to even get involved! Many times, my rushing in to "help" has just been me telling myself I "should" rather than the Lord leading me into it. I wait on the Lord's leading and timing now. 

APPLICATION 

Pray through this Psalm and lay matters that are too difficult for you at His feet. I suggest praying through it using the audio meditation linked above. (Look back on the post this week from Psalm 40 for the meaning behind the word "wait" too.)

PRAYER

Prayer through Eugene Peterson's paraphrase of this Psalm from The Message:

God, I'm not trying to rule the roost,
I don't want to be king of the mountain.
I haven't meddled where I have no business
or fantasized grandiose plans.
I've kept my feet on the ground,
I've cultivated a quiet heart.
Like a baby content in its mother's arms,
my soul is a baby content.
Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.
Hope now, hope always!

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I added Nathan Foster's audio meditation of this Psalm. I LOVE it!

One of my fellow Order of the Mustard Seed members said that I am an enthusiastic and vivacious person, but I have such calm about me. YAY! Growth since I wrote this.