Thursday, August 4, 2011

1 Samuel 23 & Psalm 54 - Deliverance, Betrayal, and Flight

LINK: 1 Samuel 23 & Psalm 54

BACKGROUND

David was on the run, but he inquired of the Lord about the deliverance of the people of Keilah. He did it twice when his men questioned the wisdom of it and received a confirmation that the Lord was with him. So, David went, and the Lord delivered them. Then, the people of Keilah "thanked" him by betraying him to Saul!

Consequently, he had to flee to the Desert of Ziph, a desolate, hilly, and wooded area between Hebron and the Dead Sea. While there, Jonathan joined David and encouraged him by confirming his kingship.

The Ziphites also betrayed David to Saul. So, he had to flee to the Desert of Maon, 10 miles southeast of Hebron. Thankfully, Saul was called back to defend Israel against the Philistines, David slipped away to En Gedi, an oasis 10 miles north of Masada and the Dead Sea.

No REFLECTION today - Keep reading!

APPLICATION - Only God Can Save

Psalm 54 is David's trust in God regardless of the betrayal of the people of Ziph and the pursuit of Saul. God was his helper and sustainer even in the midst of turmoil.

As an application, pray through this Psalm!

PRAYER

Lord, thank You that You are our refuge even when no one else may be on our side. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

Psalm 54 from God's Word Translation

   For the choir director; on stringed instruments; a maskil by David when people from the city of Ziph told Saul that David was hiding among them.

 O God, save me by your name,
   and defend me with your might.
O God, hear my prayer,
   and open your ears to the words from my mouth.
 Strangers have attacked me.
Ruthless people seek my life.
   They do not think about God.
                         Selah
 God is my helper!
The Lord is the provider for my life.
 My enemies spy on me.
      Pay them back with evil.
      Destroy them with your truth!
 I will make a sacrifice to you along with a freewill offering.
I will give thanks to your good name, O Lord.
 Your name rescues me from every trouble.
      My eyes will gloat over my enemies.


1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

The Psalms are so great to pray through! I have prayed through this Psalm so many times in my life.