Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Psalm 35 - Prayer for Rescue from Enemies

LINK: Psalm 35

BACKGROUND 

Psalm 35 is an "imprecatory psalm." The others we have covered this year are Psalms 5, 6, and 109. To imprecate means to bring down a curse on someone or something. 

David complained about his enemies and imprecated God's righteous punishment on them.  Again, these psalms are very harsh, but David could not understand why he had to flee when he had done nothing wrong. He was also the anointed king, and Saul was trying to destroy David so that one of his sons would become king (even when his own son, Jonathan, understood that David was to be king). Also, Saul's passion to kill David was fed by the lies of his own men (1 Samuel 19:5; 20:1; 23:25; 24:9-15; 25:29; 26:18-19). 

This is a sincere call for protection, rescue, and vindication from his enemies. David asked for God's justice rather than taking out his own vengeance. Like the other imprecatory psalms, he appeals to God and leaves it all in His hands.

REFLECTION 

I love how David just pours out all his feelings to God. He does not hold back even though it may look ugly to us from the outside looking in.

I read in the Life Application Bible today:
David cried out to God to defend him when people wrongly accused him. If you are unjustly accused, your natural reaction may be to lash out in revenge or to give a detailed defense of your every move. Instead, ask God to fight the battle for you. He will clear your name in the eyes of those who really matter.
I am not a "vengeance" kind of gal, but I am, by nature, a "give a detailed account of my every move" kind.  Over the years, I have learned to claim Exodus 14:14: "The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent."  I cannot put out the fires of false rumors, but God can, and I can pour out my heart to Him and rest. I have learned that God is more concerned with my character than my reputation. These battles refine our character, and He is the person who will ultimately judge our character. We can rest in that.

APPLICATION 

Can you rest in the Lord and ask Him to fight your battle for you?

2023 Update: This song has come out since I wrote this post, and it is perfect for this Psalm!


By the way, I met Michael W. Smith in December 2008!

He's not that short, but my friend Big Carol and I (Little Carol) are just tall!

PRAYER

Lord, we give our battle to You. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Well, that was fun! I just rocked out to Michael W. Smith singing the song I linked above. God fights our battles for us.